Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
Hi all - I didn't want to hijack another kernel panic thread but this one is an odd one after reading most of other issues on kernel panics here.

Currently have a mac pro 4,1->5,1 with dual 2.93ghz 6core cpu. I was having issues upgrading from sierra since the machine was never updated for years. I got a new WD 1 TB HDD and installed a fresh sierra and upgraded all the way to Mojave. Bootrom confirmed was 141.0.0.0.or whichever was the latest one. Everything worked fine.

I decided to upgrade my cpu and swapped to the 3.46ghz de lidded duals last evening. Minus the red lights and rejigging the heat sink etc., i got to the apple logo screen but it never changed to desktop screen.

So, every keyboard option to get into safe mode or recovery ends up in a kernel panic. Even the NVRAM didn't help. Pressing Option key shows the HDD and when i select it, kernel crash screen. I had the usb sierra installer and even tried that and same thing. I shifted the ram and made sure all is fine. My last resort was going back to the old cpus but thought I would check before i do. Right now, the only thing connected is my cinema display, my GPU 7970 amd, the ITB hdd with Mojave.

I see in the kernel panic about MAC OSX not set. not sure why.

See attached images.

Kernel Panic
https://ibb.co/zSbt2rY

When booted using Verbose
https://ibb.co/rdjvv4V

Pentaxer

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2018
Russia
I got the ~ same error, when updated deluded CPUs for first time. It gone after reinstalling CPUs in the sockets.
I think it was due to distortion of CPUs.

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
Thanks - so you removed the heatsinks and readjusted them again and tried again? distortion as in?

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
I know mine were pretty snug so not sure if i should loosen them a bit or start from the beginning where i loosen it all and then screw them down. I had lidded cpus before which were pretty tight down.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I know mine were pretty snug so not sure if i should loosen them a bit or start from the beginning where i loosen it all and then screw them down. I had lidded cpus before which were pretty tight down.
Your CPU tray is 2009 or 2010/2012?

If you are using a 2010/2012 CPU tray with de-lidded CPUs, you just burned the Xeon processors. The 2010/2012 heatsink don't even touch over the CPU die correctly.

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
Yes - its the same and I put in the 3.46ghz de-lidded xeons. will check when i get home on the screws and try readjusting them as suggested in post 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.