Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sonofsnak

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2016
Hi all- my early 2009 is still the best workhorse Mac I've ever had, and rather than buy an all-in-one, I still prefer the great flexibility that this tower provides.

Upgraded it a couple years ago to a 5,1 3.46 GHz 6-Core and have 32GB memory. 10.13.6 OS and apps are on a Solid State drive. Everything is fast enough for all my daily graphics work, but I do notice that it takes a little longer to come out of sleep sometimes.

Would like to do the Mohave upgrade, but I have the ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB, so I'd need to replace it.
Would it be worth putting the SAPPHIRE Radeon PULSE RX 580 in, or am I clinging to the past with this machine?

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Depends on what you use this for. Still a very viable system for the next few years at least. Absolute power hog compared to any recent system. But other than that ... Plenty of top activity on MR on how to maximize your cMP.

kkinto

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2011
No, do it. The Radeon Pulse makes a really big difference. Biggest since SSD for me, but I do a lot of FCP editing and After Effects work. I love this Mac and it still feels pretty slick now. Sure its old, but FCP editing is amazingly seamless since adding the 580.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.