Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morris_Morris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
Hey,
i figured out in another thread, that my mac pro 4.1(patched to 5.1) has a EFI based booting problem.
Now my hope is to get it back working with an older OS X el capitan version as a boot stick, original cpu etc. and a corresponding flashed EFI Chip ( seen in this thread ).

I also saw people flashing EFI Chips with Raspberry Pi. Any chance somebody could help me find out where to get a clean el capitan version and how to extract the EFI code plus flashing the chip?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hey,
i figured out in another thread, that my mac pro 4.1(patched to 5.1) has a EFI based booting problem.
Now my hope is to get it back working with an older OS X el capitan version as a boot stick, original cpu etc. and a corresponding flashed EFI Chip ( seen in this thread ).

I also saw people flashing EFI Chips with Raspberry Pi. Any chance somebody could help me find out where to get a clean el capitan version and how to extract the EFI code plus flashing the chip?
Mac Pro 4,1/5,1 SPI flash is not flashable while soldered on the backplane, you will need to desolder it first. This is extensively covered around September last year in the BootROM thread.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.