Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pakpenyo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
Hi all,

I have Mac Pro Late 2013 D300, shipped with Mavericks 10.9.5 and works fine without any problem for 2 years (i'm buying it at early 2015).

Two weeks ago, I update to El Capitan 10.11.5, the problem is it can not turn on after shutdown. Press power button, its dead, and only turn motion sensor light. Press power button for 10 second and more, nothing happen.

Can't solve with "standard" SMC Reset. The Mac Pro can turn on ONLY if disconnect power cable for 15 minutes or more, then plug in, then wait for 10 second or more. When press power button, the motion sensor light is active.

Already trying PRAM reset after turn. But it's not working.

Trying to clean install latest Sierra, the problem still there. Not try to get back 10.9/10.9.5. I'm not sure, this related to software/firmware or hardware.

Now, I never shutdown, just sleep, and sleep. No problem with wake after sleep mode.

Any suggestion? Software/firmware or hardware? Maybe power supply problem? Clean install 10.9.5 and never update to Yosemite/El Capitan/Sierra?

Bad news, it's not under warranty (if hardware issue). No Apple Service Provider at here, only Premium level Apple Store. But there are some technician with "soldered component skill level" for Apple product. They succeed replace graphics chipset my 15" MBP 2011 with discrette graphics issue.

Thanks and really sorry about my English.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
It sounds like a bad power supply to me.

Just to be sure though, try removing all non-essential hardware such as external devices and any extra RAM you've added.

pakpenyo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
There is no any additional ram. It' just keyboard and mouse. Wifi off, connect with lan cable. Already remove all thunderbolt/usb device.
I will clean install 10.9.4/10.9.5 (but it's not supported by Homebrew) and let see what happen.

pducco

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2019
Did you ever resolve this?

We're suddenly experiencing what seems to be the same issue with our Mac Pro too.
Power on seems random (but more successful after a complete unplug and rest time — so weird.)

pakpenyo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
Did you ever resolve this?

We're suddenly experiencing what seems to be the same issue with our Mac Pro too.
Power on seems random (but more successful after a complete unplug and rest time — so weird.)
NO, it's not resolved.

That bad and expensive machine never shutdown since i found this issue. It's only completely shutdown while the electric power cut from power plant (Indonesia, bad government, bad institution of electricity). But can turn on again with random method.

Some people at Apple Community tell me the problem is CMOS Battery. And i already replace this battery for two or three times but not solved.

Maybe buy new power supply? No local store sell it in here. We must import and really expensive (with tax, etc).

I will clean install to latest Mojave, hope some miracle will happen.

Sorry for my bad english :)

krakman

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
I had the same problem.

Apple genius said i had spilt water into the computer because it was showing signs of corrosion.

It cost me £700 to get it fixed...new power supply, gpu and interconnect board.

I live very close to the sea and i think high humidity cause the problem.

Reactions: OkiRun
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.