Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
Ever since upgrading to Sierra in late December 2016, I've had an annoying issue with Sierra on my Mac Pro (Late 2013).

When I type in TextEdit and certain other applications like Coda 2, typing is very slow, not keeping up with me as a key letters and scrolling is very jerky. Coda 2 is unusable so I've switched to Visual Studio Code to edit and that's working fine.

VS Code uses Electron which is Javascript/HTML/CSS based framework for building desktop apps. Interestingly Safari is fine with scrolling - it's just TextEdit (and other apps that must use the same APIs) that suffer.

Xcode works OK so perhaps that doesn't use the same APIs?

I'm using an LG 4K display scaled to 2560 x 1350 equivalent. However, even the lower end D300 graphics card in my trash can Mac Pro should be able to handle things fine (and Apple have confirmed that).

After discussing this with AppleCare and Panic and supplying videos, logs and trying all sorts of different workarounds Apple have now informed me that a bug has been identified in TextEdit on Sierra that is the cause. They can't tell me when it will be fixed.

Sounds pretty fundamental to me, and it's slightly disturbing that having reached .3 this kind of issue still exists. I wish I hadn't updated from El Capitan - that worked fine and there's nothing new in Sierra I want or need.

The reason for starting a thread about this is that I don't know anyone else who has suffered this problem, so if there's anyone out there experiencing these kinds of issues then I'd be interested to know what you've done about it. I'm not expecting a fix in 10.12.4 as that's already in beta, but hopefully 10.12.5 will sort this out.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Ever since upgrading to Sierra in late December 2016, I've had an annoying issue with Sierra on my Mac Pro (Late 2013).

When I type in TextEdit and certain other applications like Coda 2, typing is very slow, not keeping up with me as a key letters and scrolling is very jerky. Coda 2 is unusable so I've switched to Visual Studio Code to edit and that's working fine.

VS Code uses Electron which is Javascript/HTML/CSS based framework for building desktop apps. Interestingly Safari is fine with scrolling - it's just TextEdit (and other apps that must use the same APIs) that suffer.

Xcode works OK so perhaps that doesn't use the same APIs?

I'm using an LG 4K display scaled to 2560 x 1350 equivalent. However, even the lower end D300 graphics card in my trash can Mac Pro should be able to handle things fine (and Apple have confirmed that).

After discussing this with AppleCare and Panic and supplying videos, logs and trying all sorts of different workarounds Apple have now informed me that a bug has been identified in TextEdit on Sierra that is the cause. They can't tell me when it will be fixed.

Sounds pretty fundamental to me, and it's slightly disturbing that having reached .3 this kind of issue still exists. I wish I hadn't updated from El Capitan - that worked fine and there's nothing new in Sierra I want or need.

The reason for starting a thread about this is that I don't know anyone else who has suffered this problem, so if there's anyone out there experiencing these kinds of issues then I'd be interested to know what you've done about it. I'm not expecting a fix in 10.12.4 as that's already in beta, but hopefully 10.12.5 will sort this out.
I haven't noticed any such problem in my MP late 2013 after installing Sierra. I therefore do not think it is a general bug but have no idea on what it might depend. Sorry for not being of any help.

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
I haven't noticed any such problem in my MP late 2013 after installing Sierra. I therefore do not think it is a general bug but have no idea on what it might depend. Sorry for not being of any help.

Thanks, that does help, actually, as it points to a problem on my machine, although Apple seem to think otherwise. My AppleCare has now run out (it being just over 3 years since I bought my Mac Pro) but luckily I raised this well before so they're not going to wriggle out of supporting me. ;-)

If the next couple of macOS updates don't fix it, I'll be back on to them for sure!

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

Are you also with D300 and a 4k display?

OP's problem sounds like GPU driver related. May need that specific combination to trigger the bug.

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
Are you also with D300 and a 4k display?

OP's problem sounds like GPU driver related. May need that specific combination to trigger the bug.

That's a fair point. My original thoughts were along those lines, although it seems odd that Visual Studio Code zips along quickly with no problems while TextEdit and Coda (which I now know from Panic uses the same underlying APIs as TextEdit) have this issue.

It's quite a pain, to be honest. I'm using Visual Studio Code to edit and Coda to manage FTP synchronising. There are plugins for VS Code for FTP however I want something that will monitor my folders for changes and keep a track of what needs to be uploaded, which Coda is continuing to do even though I'm editing in another application.

I didn't spend thousands on a Mac Pro to have these kinds of problems with things my machine should be able to cope with without breaking into a sweat. :(

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
Silly question, but what model keyboard is this?

A fair question. I'm using a wired keyboard.

Typing in webkit based applications like Safari, Chrome and Visual Studio Code is fine. It's only apps that use TextEdit that seem to be bad but unfortunately one of my main tools (Coda 2) uses those APIs and is practically unusable.

Seriously thinking of going back to El Capitan. :-(

pshifrin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
A fair question. I'm using a wired keyboard.

Typing in webkit based applications like Safari, Chrome and Visual Studio Code is fine. It's only apps that use TextEdit that seem to be bad but unfortunately one of my main tools (Coda 2) uses those APIs and is practically unusable.

Seriously thinking of going back to El Capitan. :-(

I asked because I had this issue on a logitech solar k750 (not with a mac pro though) and it mysteriously went away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.