Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fluxcapacitr609

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2019
Im having an issue with my new Mac Pro 2010 I purchased. I transferred all my components from my 2008 Mac Pro (SSDs, HDDs, Disk Drive (2nd Bay), Video card, etc. I upgraded the processors to 2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeons. Upgraded the OS to High Sierra and everything seems to be perfect. Im having one issue, my fans don't seem to increase or decrease. They just seem to stay the same RPM. I purchased iStat a while ago and transferred the license to this Mac. With that program I can raise the RPM to whatever I want but I can't decrease it. So if I raise it to 5000RPMs it will stay at that RPM until I reboot. I also have smcfan and the same thing happens. Raise but not decrease. I reset my PRAM and SMC multiple times but no change. I uninstalled both programs and ran some intensive programming to see if it was the programs causing issue. The mac pro protected itself and shutdown without raising the fan speeds. I don't know what to do next in my troubleshooting. Im hoping someone has felt with this issue before or has an idea on what to troubleshoot next.

fluxcapacitr609

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2019
Well I ended up fixing my own problem. I was looking through some of my stats and I noticed that I didn't have the right amount of Ram showing. I saw that Slot 1 was empty. I reseated all my ram and now everything is working as it should. A small weird problem that comes from not having Ram in Slot 1.

***FIXED***

Reactions: tommy chen
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.