Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kalenaka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2020
New York, NY
I have a 2009 Mac Pro which I successfully (with the help of this forum) upgraded to 5,1 to Mojave running a RX580. Got it to run and work off of my NVME. Everything at this point works, the screen works.

I then upgraded the CPU to dual X5680 3.33 ghz, which I purchased used off of Ebay that used to live a server.

I plugged the fans in the heatsinks. But my plugs wouldn't reach the board so I cut the plastic tab off and may have cut too much plastic. I cut more than the image attached.

I also air spray the board and touched it once or twice.

When putting the heatsink on, I didn't tighten too much about thumb tight or a little less

Now my Mac Pro starts and runs but my screen is black. I may have made some big mistakes. I'm making an ultra low budget film needing some power and this is my way to move forward.

So I put back in my old dual Xeons 2.66 and still nothing. Starts, runs, light on the dual tray goes on once. But my screen is dead. Please help me.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 7.11.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 7.11.09 PM.png
    165.7 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.