Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrriney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2019
First post in the forums here but have been reading for a long time.

I’m looking to invest in a new desktop setup for professional use. I’ll be running Adobe Premiere Pro, Photoshop, Lightroom, Illustrator, and InDesign regularly. I upload and edit large files for my work. I also trade stocks so plan to get an ultra wide monitor for the screen real estate; I haven’t decided which one I like best yet. Maybe some light gaming, as well.

I’ve only ever purchased an iMac desktop with Apple before, so I’m a little out of my element here. Would the Mini be enough computer for my needs? Should I hold out for the Mac Pro, and if so, would that be a quality setup with the ultra wide monitor? I tend to invest in systems and keep them for 5-8 years, so I’d like to have something I can grow into. I also read that the new Mac Pros could be coming this year—I don’t mind waiting a bit.

bigtomato

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2015
Judging from apple's history even though the Mac Pro won't be available til December its a long way off. Plus there will be limited amount I can guarantee you so you won't see anything til feb. 2020. I used the new Mac mini, just get the extra ram and cpu it makes a difference. I would add external storage and external cpu would should come in around $2200, saving you a ton of money. Trust me the mini is fast and use it with final cut pro and apple motion. You can always sell the mini after reviews of the Mac Pro come out if necessary.

Longer Lane

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2015
Couldn't agree more. I maxed out the mini in terms of CPU (3.2 6-core i7), but went for the smallest RAM (8GB) and HD (128GB). You store your apps on the internal SSD and any data on external drives.

Get the extra RAM from Crucial or somewhere else and use external NVME TB storage (eg. the one from OWC, or the Glyph dock with 2TB for $699). Such a set up will give you a lot of flexibility in terms of upgrade path.

The four Thunderbolt 3 ports of the mini provide you with plenty of connectivity. If your gaming needs exceed the capabilities of the built-in graphics card, you can hook up a eGPU and increase performance that way.

In terms of raw power, I would think that the top line mini is not too far away in terms of computing power from a (6-year old) mid-range Mac pro.

Bottom-line: you get a flexible and future proof system for a fraction of the price.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeInMilwaukee

jrriney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2019
Appreciate the feedback. I’ve never added or modified my computers in the past, but I’ll do some homework. Usually I just purchase a spec-ed out iMac or MacBook Pro. If I can purchase external add-ons like an eGPU and additional RAM for the Mini as I go, that certainly makes it a little more intriguing. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.