Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zakperic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
HI All,

I was wondering if anybody can help me please.
I have Mac Pro 5.1/ 2010, with unflashed EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 graphic card.
This is what I know so far.

The card works well, using Octane, C4d, and the rest. Big increase of speed and rendering times have been noted.

I also know that the web driver for GTX card needs to be installed in order for the card to work. (NO BOOT SCREEN IS AVAILABLE, HAPPY WITH THAT.....)

Clearly if you install the update to OSX you have to take the GTX card out and use some graphic card that is Mac compatible. (do not throw away your original card as you will need it to use it every time new OSX update come along.) That being said I only update my system maybe once a year now. If it works, do not fix it......

My question is can I buy another GTX card, clearly they need to be same in my case EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980..... and install it. In a way CAN MAC POWER SUPPLY HANDLE IT.

I was reading in few posts that I have to buy a cable to draw the power from a CD bay and hard drive.

MY QUESTION IS about power and heat. Can Mac Pro handle the power that this card uses and further more in which card bay should I install the card.

Any help or link with threads about this issue is welcomed.

Many thanks

Last edited:

zakperic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
info on nvidia cards https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...out-nvidia-pc-non-efi-graphics-cards.1440150/

for power use external power supply or https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/pixlas-4-1-mac-pro-mod.1859652/

not shore it's worth it tho

why crazy formatting?
[doublepost=1486221666][/doublepost]Thank you for the reply. Do you know are they any video tutorials that will show me how to install the secondary power supply.

Are they any alternatives to this.
Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks you.

I get it, no more crazy formatting.-)

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
mm i do want to say that it's not safe to play with power supply if you dont know what your doing.

get a second power supply it's safer and easier

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.