Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aliezsid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2021
First off the details of the system.

Target System [The one that's dead] - Macbook Pro 13 inch Late 2019 , Touchbar version. , 11.x (Big Sur, can't specify the exact version since I don't remember what the version was)

Host System [Being used for restoring] - Mac mini late 2014 (using USB C to USB C with a C=>A adapter) (10.5.6)

### The Problem
The macbook suddenly died yesterday when I tried to turn it on. I thought it was a just a battery issue since I don't remember spilling anything on it or forcing anything on the laptop and it was working fine the night before, all i see is a black screen and I'm assuming the macbook still has life since I can click the touchpad and also since I can get the laptop to DFU mode in the Apple Configurator 2 but with no success of being able to boot it up with any of the options from Apple Configurator.
I end up with a Padlock on the Apple Configurator 2 after every attempt at revive or restore and I don't know what that means since there's not much detail about that online.
Is there anything else I could try or does anyone know the reason for the Padlock on Apple Configurator 2 and what it means if the laptop keeps going back to it after every attempt at restore?

I see nothing on the MacBook, no boot chime, no recovery opens up, can't see disks, nothing. It's just a black screen every time

### TLDR;
Macbook stuck on black screen with no signs of life, smc reset and pram reset's were tried and so was reviving and restoring via Apple Configurator 2, the next thing I'm thinking is a board failure which is definitely going to be an expensive repair but I guess that's about it then, any other options or solutions that you might have that I could try?

What I see after every revive or restore with not other error / alert

Screenshot 2021-04-25 at 1.38.56 PM.png

What I see in DFU mode in the USB Tree
Screenshot 2021-04-25 at 2.29.12 PM.png

What I see after revive and restore and also If I randomly just plug it in

Screenshot 2021-04-25 at 2.28.24 PM.png

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Did you ever get this figured out? dealing with the same thing currently
It simply means you didn't use the method to enter DFU mode. If the Mac boots up normally you will always see a padlock.

see this link for a M1 Mac

see this link for a intel Mac

It's a PITA to get it to work with the necessary timing.

fatcamp

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2022
The World
UPDATE : Took to Apple Store - they did all these steps in front of me (that I told them I already had done at home) and then told me needed a new logicboard (assuming the tech that day wasn't knowledgeable about this at all, another post saying they just needed to flash the T2 chip, but was told they dont do that) and quoted me $428 for a new i3 logicboard. I refused, not worth while. Thought I would update here.

axmeisterr

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2023
i created an account just to say that I had this same issue and solved it by holding down the option key while the macbook was off which booted it into internet recovery. from there i was able to wipe the hard drive and get a fresh install. it's clear that apple employees either don't know what they're talking about or just dont care enough about customers. there was nothing wrong hardware wise. hope this helps somebody.

istymie

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2023
i created an account just to say that I had this same issue and solved it by holding down the option key while the macbook was off which booted it into internet recovery. from there i was able to wipe the hard drive and get a fresh install. it's clear that apple employees either don't know what they're talking about or just dont care enough about customers. there was nothing wrong hardware wise. hope this helps somebody.
Created account to say thank you for this.

I bricked my intel 2018 mac mini by accidentially holding down the power button too long.

DFU "recovery" proceeded for a few minutes but finally put the mini into a locked status similar to OP. Per above post, disconnected USB-C cable and rebooted while holding option to get internet recovery and was able to restore O/S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.