Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CBlakeston

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
I've used variations of MacBook Pro's since first switching to Mac in 2007 and recently went from a 2016 Retina MacBook Pro to the new MacBook Air. I bought a 24" 1080p monitor for around £200 knowing the resolution wouldn't be as high, but damn. It was ugly after coming from a Mac display. I returned it pretty quickly then came to realise as I'm sure many of us have, there aren't many Mac quality third party monitors.

That said, other then the resolution I was pretty happy with that monitor which was a ProArt 1080p screen. So picked up it's bigger bother, an Asus Pro art 27" 4K PA279CV a little discounted for £400. And 4K at 27 inches is damn near close to Mac sharpness that I'm pretty happy with it. Perfect colours, true 10 bit screen and a built in USBC hub that powers the MacBook Air.

Just wanted to share my experience in case anyone else is looking for a similarly Mac quality monitor.

Ideally I'd love a HDR display to finally be able to edit HDR video, but that limits my options to the ProArt Mini LED (around £2800) or the infamous Apple Pro XDR at around £5500. But holding out for the rumoured 'more affordable' Apple display for mere mortals. I'm guessing If that is a thing we'll see it launch with the new Mac Pro next year.

IMG_3425 copy.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3425 copy.jpg
    IMG_3425 copy.jpg
    564.8 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Reactions: macintoshmac

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I've heard of a few people using an OLED TV for HDR video editing. A much cheaper option than you mentioned, although even the smallest is 48", so too big for the desk in your image.

Reactions: CBlakeston

CBlakeston

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
I've heard of a few people using an OLED TV for HDR video editing. A much cheaper option than you mentioned, although even the smallest is 48", so too big for the desk in your image.
I do have a 55” Sony OLED to the left and behind me as I sit at the desk. Never thought of hooking my Mac up to it as a display. There are work arounds to hook up a HDMI display as an external monitor for Final Cut but I believe it needs an external box that’s quite pricey at which point I might as well be buying a monitor.

edit update: you’re right. There was an update at some point and final cut can use a HDMI out as a monitor in final cut now… but the M1 can only drive one external monitor not two. Lol. Might have to hook it up to my TV one day though to see how it looks. Thanks. ?

Last edited:

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2012
I've been considering either this or one of the $500ish dollar LG monitors. I don't know much about Asus but I hear good things about their ProArt line even down to the cheaper ones, and LG I just know as a trusty brand name in terms of nice looking screens. Also considered Dell but heard they have USB issues that both parties are unwilling to fix...and outside of the "business line" stigma I've just had many Dell machines screw me over so my loathing of them has only stacked over time lol

Good to hear such a positive review tho, I'll have to look closer at this one again. Also still considering an iMac, much cheaper to get by with just a laptop hooked up to a monitor but damn are those iMacs sexy.

Oh the PD is a bummer tho, I figured the 4k would have 90+ deliver but it's still only 65. That's fine with my MBA and honestly I'm loving not having fans and don't even feel like I need anything more even for video editing...but having the headroom in case I ever go 14-16" again would be nice.

CBlakeston

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
I've been considering either this or one of the $500ish dollar LG monitors. I don't know much about Asus but I hear good things about their ProArt line even down to the cheaper ones, and LG I just know as a trusty brand name in terms of nice looking screens. Also considered Dell but heard they have USB issues that both parties are unwilling to fix...and outside of the "business line" stigma I've just had many Dell machines screw me over so my loathing of them has only stacked over time lol

Good to hear such a positive review tho, I'll have to look closer at this one again. Also still considering an iMac, much cheaper to get by with just a laptop hooked up to a monitor but damn are those iMacs sexy.
It's crazy how little choice there is. Everything is GAMING MONITOR FTW POWER.

The new iMacs are sexy indeed. A buddy just got one. But actually, as great as Mac screens, they are 8bit panels with FRC to give the appearance of 10bit whereas the ProArt is actually a 10 bit panel. It's not something you're going to notice or care about unless you do Pro colour work but an interesting difference.

Going up to the next screen size and getting a 32" monitor at 4K would also I think, for me, be way less sharp. 27" 4K though not quite 'retina' is a close as I don't notice the difference unless I'm comparing side by side to my Mac. But then If you don't need portability iMac is the way to go for sure.

I figure now I have it set up like this I can swap out the air for the 14" M1X or next years Air with the M2 as needed. Which is a big jump from getting a new Mac every five-ish years. But at under a grand? That's cheaper then getting an iPhone every year. ?

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2012

The new iMacs are sexy indeed. A buddy just got one. But actually, as great as Mac screens, they are 8bit panels with FRC to give the appearance of 10bit whereas the ProArt is actually a 10 bit panel. It's not something you're going to notice or care about unless you do Pro colour work but an interesting difference.

Going up to the next screen size and getting a 32" monitor at 4K would also I think, for me, be way less sharp. 27" 4K though not quite 'retina' is a close as I don't notice the difference unless I'm comparing side by side to my Mac. But then If you don't need portability iMac is the way to go for sure.

I figure now I have it set up like this I can swap out the air for the 14" M1X or next years Air with the M2 as needed. Which is a big jump from getting a new Mac every five-ish years. But at under a grand? That's cheaper then getting an iPhone every year. ?

Is there any issues with scaling or font? I've seen some discussion about things scaling weird if the monitor isn't close to 110ppi or 220ppi (which 4k 27" is right in between) so was worried about that. Also saw something recently about font just staying the same size or something, so may be a bit difficult to read? Idk I guess this is just stuff I have to test IRL so I can see if it bothers me or not. Good to hear the MBA can handle it tho, and yeah hopefully the 14" MBP or M2 MBA will only need 65w of power delivery that'd be perfect. At these prices I can definitely see myself upgrading more often, may be another good reason not to go 14/16" anymore.

CBlakeston

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Is there any issues with scaling or font? I've seen some discussion about things scaling weird if the monitor isn't close to 110ppi or 220ppi (which 4k 27" is right in between) so was worried about that. Also saw something recently about font just staying the same size or something, so may be a bit difficult to read? Idk I guess this is just stuff I have to test IRL so I can see if it bothers me or not. Good to hear the MBA can handle it tho, and yeah hopefully the 14" MBP or M2 MBA will only need 65w of power delivery that'd be perfect. At these prices I can definitely see myself upgrading more often, may be another good reason not to go 14/16" anymore.
No issues with fonts or scaling that I’ve noticed. Text looks great and video is sharp. Using a 27” 1080p monitor was obviously night and day if you’re picky about these things, as I am. Lol. But coming from a mac screen this just looks.. normal.

But it’s such a subjective thing, I’d definitely try and see one in person, if not the exact model try and see a 4K 27” monitor of any kind to see how you find it. If I have my MacBook open on the desk next to my monitor I can notice the air is a hair sharper comparing the two but in everyday use it’s a none issue.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I was only able to find a single 4K display that was less than 27”. I found an inexpensive LG 24” 4K (24UD58-B) display. It is still marketed as a gaming monitor but meets my needs in getting closer to Retina dpi. The other LG is the Apple endorsed 24” Ultra-Fine but I wasn’t actually able to find one available outside the Apple store with a 5 week wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.