Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gopal.virtual

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2018
Config : Macbook pro 13" mid 2012, Mac OS High Sierra, 256SSD, 4GB Ram

It restarts randomly, after it freezes. Sometimes it also gets stuck in the boot screen. The verbose result is shown in the image. Found a temporary fix. Whenever it gets stuck, if I do a first aid from recovery mode, it starts working again, but short lived.

I also have a kernel panic report from EtreCheck. Can someone help me fix this. Note : I have only upgraded my hdd to ssd.

Attachments

• gYAHT.jpg
    gYAHT.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 290
  • kernal_panic.txt
    12.1 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
can be problem with SSD, SATA cable or memory, if not the logic board is defective

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
If this problem started happening after the upgrade to the SSD and if First-Aid is finding problems every time you run it, the cable is the first place I would look. Numerous other posters have reported that a HDD works fine but that when putting in a SSD when using the original SATA cable in this MBP model, they have problems. If that doesn't help, we can help go through the other possibilities.

Reactions: gopal.virtual

gopal.virtual

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2018
can be problem with SSD, SATA cable or memory, if not the logic board is defective
How can you be so sure, reports doesn't show it. In other words, how can I narrow down the problem?

Last edited:

gopal.virtual

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2018
If this problem started happening after the upgrade to the SSD and if First-Aid is finding problems every time you run it, the cable is the first place I would look. Numerous other posters have reported that a HDD works fine but that when putting in a SSD when using the original SATA cable in this MBP model, they have problems. If that doesn't help, we can help go through the other possibilities.
Do you know, why it says, IOfirewireLocalNode timeout, in the verbose boot screen?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Do you have a brick-n-mortar Apple Store nearby?
If so, take it to them.

The 2012 non-retina MBPro's have a "weak point" in their internal SATA ribbon cables (cable that connects hard drive to motherboard). The cables wear, the insulation becomes exposed, and short out against the case. Or the cable connections fail "internally", and communication with the motherboard becomes random. Having an SSD will make matters worse, because sometimes cables that still work with slower hard drives WON'T work with a faster SSD.

When this failure occurs, it will cause all sorts of problems -- pretty much like you've been experiencing.

Apple previously had a FREE "cable replacement program" for these models.
I'm not sure if this is still in effect.

In any case, if they can replace the cable -- even if you have to pay for it -- it should fix the problem.

You can buy the cable yourself, it's an easy "change out".
Go to ifixit.com to see what's involved.
Will take only 15 minutes -- hardest part is removing/replacing all the screws on the back cover.
You can buy the cable from ifixit or online. Ifixit will have the part number.

Reactions: jerryk

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Change the drive cable. With these systems it is a case of when, not if they will fail. You can get them for $10-30

gopal.virtual

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2018
OP:

Do you have a brick-n-mortar Apple Store nearby?
If so, take it to them.

The 2012 non-retina MBPro's have a "weak point" in their internal SATA ribbon cables (cable that connects hard drive to motherboard). The cables wear, the insulation becomes exposed, and short out against the case. Or the cable connections fail "internally", and communication with the motherboard becomes random. Having an SSD will make matters worse, because sometimes cables that still work with slower hard drives WON'T work with a faster SSD.

When this failure occurs, it will cause all sorts of problems -- pretty much like you've been experiencing.

Apple previously had a FREE "cable replacement program" for these models.
I'm not sure if this is still in effect.

In any case, if they can replace the cable -- even if you have to pay for it -- it should fix the problem.

You can buy the cable yourself, it's an easy "change out".
Go to ifixit.com to see what's involved.
Will take only 15 minutes -- hardest part is removing/replacing all the screws on the back cover.
You can buy the cable from ifixit or online. Ifixit will have the part number.

Well, the problem became worse. Replaced with a third party cable (Apple store here don't sell those cables anymore). It's restarting every now and then now. Will return the cable and keep the original now. What should I do now? Is ssd upgrade possible at all or not with these Sata cable? Could this be a memory issue? Please, show me a direction.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
With the new cable, are the kernel panic reports similar to what you posted originally?

Is Disk Utility First-Aid still finding problems with your disk after a kernel panic?

Did the computer work fine with the HDD? If it did have you tried putting the HDD back in place? You can also boot the MBP with your old HDD in a USB enclosure.

Can you post the results of the EtreCheck app?

Have you tried running the Apple Hardware Test?
https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht201257

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Check the RAM. Boot system into Diagnostics (shut down, and then press button and then immediately hold down the D key until you see Apple Diagnostics,) and let it run the tests.

If it doesn't boot into Diagnostics with the D key, then boot again, but this time hold the Option-D keys down and it should boot Diagnostics over the internet.

You could try re-seating the RAM too. (You did have the bottom off.)

gopal.virtual

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2018
With the new cable, are the kernel panic reports similar to what you posted originally?

Is Disk Utility First-Aid still finding problems with your disk after a kernel panic?

Did the computer work fine with the HDD? If it did have you tried putting the HDD back in place? You can also boot the MBP with your old HDD in a USB enclosure.

Can you post the results of the EtreCheck app?

Have you tried running the Apple Hardware Test?
https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht201257

Reports are exactly the same. And after some time, it turned really bad, i couldn't boot at all. So, replaced back the my old hdd(It has Yosemite), and its working. There seems to be a problem with SSD upgrade. Do I have to take precautions or some special cable? Or is just High sierra's AFS system?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Suggestions:

Gently remove and reseat the RAM DIMMs. Could one or more of the [many] contacts be marginal?

If you suspect the drive, restore the "factory drive" if possible.
Do the problems then go away?

gopal.virtual

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2018
Suggestions:

Gently remove and reseat the RAM DIMMs. Could one or more of the [many] contacts be marginal?

If you suspect the drive, restore the "factory drive" if possible.
Do the problems then go away?
Tried replacing the RAM as well, issue persist. It's just not compatible with SSDs, that's so unfair. Given that, even their official site has instructions to upgrade to SSD.
[doublepost=1530028753][/doublepost]
This is exactly what is happening right now. So, does it mean, we can't upgrade at all :(

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
Did you install any 3rd-party software on your SSD? You might want to try running in safe mode. I did not see any kernel extensions in your kernel panic report so I didn't suggest that earlier. If you don't want to put the SSD back in the computer just for the test, you can put the SSD in a USB enclosure and boot from there (connect the USB enclosure with the SSD to the computer, press the option key and a list of bootable disks will appear).
https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht201262

One other thing to try is to disconnect all other devices (except the USB drive if you boot from that), disconnect your Ethernet cable if you use that or turn off WiFi if you use that and see if your problem persists.

If none of these work and because your system works with the HDD (as you mentioned in post #11) but not the SSD and you tried replacing the cable, then a likely candidate is the SSD. The kernel panic report says you have a Samsung 750 Evo (250GB). If you bought it from an authorized Samsung retailer, you should be able to get it replaced under warranty.

The problems you are having should not happen with a properly functioning 2012 MBP with High Sierra (APFS) with a SSD.
[doublepost=1530034586][/doublepost]I just remembered something else you can test. I recently had a problem where I transferred an OS to a new SSD. It booted but had problems starting certain apps. When I was doing the transfer, the drive got disconnected message box appeared but both the source and destination drives (both USB) were mounted so I had hoped that the transfer was OK but obviously it wasn't. When I ran a program that syncs two disks, it worked fine so something happened during the initial transfer.

So it's possible that because of a slightly defective HDD cable that some files were not copied correctly to the SSD. You can try installing High Sierra over your current High Sierra installation on the SSD and it should replace the files. You would need to put the SSD in an USB enclosure to do this as it appears you have returned the replacement HDD cable.

Last edited:

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Maybe check if there’s a firmware update available for the SSD as well.

gopal.virtual

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2018
Hi,

Well, just got it fixed from a local repair centre. Apparently, it was defective ICs on logic board. My SSD works fine, because I've been using it regularly in another iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.