Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SeanusJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2018
Hi,

Sorry if this kind of problem is repeated elsewhere. I'll start at the top for context:

Following a botched installation of Bitdefender, my Bootcamp partition decided it wasn't going to boot any more. When safe mode etc wouldn't play ball I decided to remove the partition with bootcamp assistant. I was trying to do too much at once I expect with a time machine backup, trashing a previous backup to make space, but at any rate the bootcamp assistant froze. After restart the drive was split into two parts that looked identical (down to size of files stored) and I could not remove either partition. So I used all the wonderful information on these forums to use the terminal and disk utility to create one, complete fusion drive.

Everything looked great until I tried to make a new bootcamp partition. It worked up to the point where windows should format the drive, but as it refused to do so I removed the bootcamp partition. Looking back on the disk utility this is what I see:

upload_2018-8-15_11-33-27.png

upload_2018-8-15_11-45-57.png

upload_2018-8-15_11-34-32.png

Is it a case of go back and try again? How can it essentially think it is twice the size it should be? Are my Bootcamp days over? I'd appreciate any light anyone can shed on this.

SeanusJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2018
I've done a complete reinstall now, and made my bootcamp partition. The system overview is correct and normal, the disk utility is still not correct, essentially displaying the first volume twice. Given that I am in no way running out of space and I haven't spotted any adverse effects is this anything I need to worry about?

upload_2018-8-18_11-42-42.png

upload_2018-8-18_11-43-4.png

upload_2018-8-18_11-43-23.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.