Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ernestostifano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2020
Hi everyone!

This is the thing...

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
Multiple Partitions (macOS Mavericks, macOS Catalina, Windows 10, Linux)
My SSD disk has a pure GUID partition map, al operative systems are installed in pure EFI mode. No MBR.
Everything worked fine until I updated macOS Catalina to the latest version (10.15.3). I'm still not 100% sure that it caused the problem.

Now macOS Mavericks fails to boot. Apple logo appears and then my Mac shuts down. All other operative systems are working fine!

Already ran fsck_hfs in all possible manners.

I suspect that the update may have messed up my EFI partition (I have two EFI partitions: The first for both macOS systems and Windows and the second for Linux).

Or that something else happened and Mavericks kernel extensions or the kernel itself is not compatible anymore with the eventual new configuration of my Mac.

I attach a photo of the output while trying to boot in verbose mode into Mavericks. Safe boot won't work (I think I tried correctly) and single user mode hangs.

Can this be solved or I'll need to reinstall Mavericks or a newer macOS I that partition?

Attachments

• IMG_7087.jpg
    IMG_7087.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 248

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

You may want to upgrade to High Sierra, before "going further".
HS will "convert" your drive from HFS+ to APFS.
But I believe Mojave requires the drive to be APFS before it will install (I could be wrong).

You can get the High Sierra installer here:
Get macOS High Sierra

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.