Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a.mlkstn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
Hello everyone,

I tried posting a question on Apple's official website, but it won't let me, so I was hoping someone here could help me.

So here's the thing, my Mac Pro keeps saying that it does not have enough space. I got it in October 2016 and it started saying that maybe six months after. I do not keep anything on this laptop - everything is on an external hard drive, except some documents and music (takes up about 6 GB) and, obviously, apps like Microsoft Office & Photoshop.
Today, I tried reinstalling my Mac to see if that would kinda fix the issue, but it asks me to update to High Sierra first, but to update to High Sierra, I need more space available. I deleted everything, I deleted some application, I ran Dink Clean Pro, but it doesn't really help.

Can someone, please, help me with this thing? It's really annoying.

Thank you!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you don't have enough storage space, you have two options:
1. Remove stuff that's on your internal drive that you don't need
or
2. Buy an EXTERNAL drive for "more room".

Ain't hard!

a.mlkstn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
If you don't have enough storage space, you have two options:
1. Remove stuff that's on your internal drive that you don't need
or
2. Buy an EXTERNAL drive for "more room".

Ain't hard!

As you can see from my post, I keep everything on my external drive and have nothing on my laptop, except for applications I need and music, which takes up 6 GB. So, you see why I am actually asking a question here, right? Not cause I am super dumb, as you might have probably assumed :)

Last edited:

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
How big are the photoshop files you're using? PS loads things into the scratch disk when working, so if you have a .psb with a bunch of .raw files in it, it can easily eat up a tonne of physical space.

a.mlkstn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
How big are the photoshop files you're using? PS loads things into the scratch disk when working, so if you have a .psb with a bunch of .raw files in it, it can easily eat up a tonne of physical space.

Hi, I deleted PS and all the files... I managed to update to High Sierra after running CCleaner and got about 50 GB of storage available, but now it’s back down to 34 GB and it won’t let me back up my iPhone. I never had this problem with my previous MacBook and that one was from 2010.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
What does OmniDiskSweeper identify as the largest files on the disk?

Also if you go to the Apple menu, About This Mac, Storage.... That will give you an overview, with more detailed info if you click on Manage.

a.mlkstn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018

Also if you go to the Apple menu, About This Mac, Storage.... That will give you an overview, with more detailed info if you click on Manage.

Hi,
I did all that, I even purchased MacKeeper and it cleaned up stuff too, but it freed less than 1 GB on storage. I’ll just get an appointment at the Genius lab..

Thanks to everyone for their help!!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"I did all that, I even purchased MacKeeper and it cleaned up stuff too, but it freed less than 1 GB on storage. I’ll just get an appointment at the Genius lab.."

Yipes, THAT was a mistake.
I say get rid of MacKeeper as fast as you can.

If you want to see what's eating up your disk space, THIS will show you:
https://diskwave.barthe.ph/
(free app)

Just download it and run it.
You'll see what to do next.
TIP -- go to the DiskWave preferences and make normally-invisible files VISIBLE.

Last edited:

rc135tx

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2010
Hi,
I did all that, I even purchased MacKeeper and it cleaned up stuff too, but it freed less than 1 GB on storage. I’ll just get an appointment at the Genius lab..

Thanks to everyone for their help!!

What Ascender said, above should help you. And ... be sure to let us know the results of your Genius appt.

a.mlkstn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
OP wrote:
"I did all that, I even purchased MacKeeper and it cleaned up stuff too, but it freed less than 1 GB on storage. I’ll just get an appointment at the Genius lab.."

Yipes, THAT was a mistake.
I say get rid of MacKeeper as fast as you can.

If you want to see what's eating up your disk space, THIS will show you:
https://diskwave.barthe.ph/
(free app)

Just download it and run it.
You'll see what to do next.
TIP -- go to the DiskWave preferences and make normally-invisible files VISIBLE.

Oh, ok, thank you, I’ll do that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.