Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrlipsham

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2022
Hey all I'm about to buy a mac studio tomorrow and will do a lot of rendering from after effects with it, I was wondering if anyone knows the difference in render speeds for the 48core m1 ultra with 64gb of ram vs 128 gb and if the 48core m1 ultra with 128gb is faster than the 64core with 64gb. Essentially is the extra 64gb worth it and even then if it is, is it better than just getting the 64 core with 64gb of ram.

Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated!

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
If you can afford the upgrades and if every extra minute saved rendering is worth it to you, then go for it. I don't think you can ever have too much RAM. The decision should only be between GPUs. If I needed the ultra power, I would've gotten 128 GB no questions asked.

Mrlipsham

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2022
If you can afford the upgrades and if every extra minute saved rendering is worth it to you, then go for it. I don't think you can ever have too much RAM. The decision should only be between GPUs. If I needed the ultra power, I would've gotten 128 GB no questions asked.
Do you have any idea what the percentage difference in render times would be?

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
Do you have any idea what the percentage difference in render times would be?
No, unfortunately I don't. Maybe someone else has more knowledge in this. I think most of the reviews I've seen online have compared the Max to Ultra and hasn't looked at the GPU differences.

Reactions: Mrlipsham

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
@Mrlipsham I can tell you that I'm very very happy with my M1 Max 64 GB. I'm sure an M1 Ultra 64 GB will perform even better, but the performance difference between Max and Ultra isn't a lot. You probably would do just fine with an M1 Max and 64 GB. However, if you go for the Ultra, I would say go for 128 GB of memory since it's available.

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
There are a number of videos on YouTube that talk about Ultra memory and graphics performance, including some that talk specifically about After Effects. One general conclusion is that performance improvements from upgrades of memory and GPU cores are not linear. Beyond that, I think that a lot depends on how complex your After Effects processing is, and on what you find wanting in your current computer for this kind of processing. There are plenty of After Effects users, almost certainly a majority, who get on just fine with 32GB of memory, let alone 64GB or 128GB.

Last edited:

Mrlipsham

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2022
There are a number of videos on YouTube that talk about Ultra memory and graphics performance, including some that talk specifically about After Effects. One general conclusion is that performance improvements from upgrades of memory and GPU cores are not linear. Beyond that, I think that a lot depends on how complex your After Effects processing is, and on what you find wanting in your current computer for this kind of processing. There are plenty of After Effects users, almost certainly a majority, who get on just fine with 32GB of memory, let alone 64GB or 128GB.
After effects rendering I do is very complex with many scripts and warping which seems to increase render times a lot. I do animation work for video games, advertising and websites.

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
After effects rendering I do is very complex with many scripts and warping which seems to increase render times a lot. I do animation work for video games, advertising and websites.

I use Apple and Blackmagic software for video, so can't offer knowledgeable advice. There are a few videos on YouTube that you might find helpful, but I'd suggest After Effects forums, beginning with Adobe's own.

Reactions: southerndoc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.