Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quotex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2022
I'm currently using a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009) with an external monitor. A few years ago I upgraded its memory to 8GB, and replaced the DVD drive with a 128GB SSD. I spend most of time using this computer to remote to company's work machine, and locally do some web browsing. No photo/video editing. Now I'm thinking about getting either Mac Studio or Mac Mini, and getting another monitor for a dual monitor setup

Mac studio, base one: 32GB memory, 512GB SSD, $1999
Mac mini, probably would be 16GB memory, 512GB SSD, $1099

would the differences in M1 / M1 max and memory justify the $900 for my use case?

my feeling is that mac mini is more than enough for my current use case? but on the other hand, would prefer to get a new model, rather than a late 2020 one. Also I plan to keep the desktop for 5-6 years, or even longer, so wouldn't mind spending a bit more money now if it helps in the long run

thanks for your inputs

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
There’s some Mini owners that want to unload their M1 because it’s stuck forever at 16 GB of RAM.
Not everyone needs more than 16 GB of RAM today of course, but 3-4 years from now when Apple Jacks up the memory requirement?

The safe bet is get a machine that has 32GB of RAM. Not for today, but for in the future.

wolf_rine

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2022
I'm currently using a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009) with an external monitor. A few years ago I upgraded its memory to 8GB, and replaced the DVD drive with a 128GB SSD. I spend most of time using this computer to remote to company's work machine, and locally do some web browsing. No photo/video editing. Now I'm thinking about getting either Mac Studio or Mac Mini, and getting another monitor for a dual monitor setup

Mac studio, base one: 32GB memory, 512GB SSD, $1999
Mac mini, probably would be 16GB memory, 512GB SSD, $1099

would the differences in M1 / M1 max and memory justify the $900 for my use case?

my feeling is that mac mini is more than enough for my current use case? but on the other hand, would prefer to get a new model, rather than a late 2020 one. Also I plan to keep the desktop for 5-6 years, or even longer, so wouldn't mind spending a bit more money now if it helps in the long run

thanks for your inputs
I'm also contemplating between the base Studio with the Mini (specced up for RAM to 16GB). Currently on 2014 iMac 27" with RAM of 8GB with basic usage and occasional simple photo/home video editing. At this moment, am inclined to just go with the 16GB M1 Mini + Studio display to replicate the current 27" setup - save the $ and potentially upgrade the storage to 2TB?

Reactions: VaruLV

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
I heard that the M1 Mac Mini has serious issues, such as bluetooth problems.

So best is to go for the Mac Studio if money is no issue to avoid headaches.

And if you want to add a 2nd monitor to your WFH setup, you can do that with the Mac Studio, which you cannot do with the M1 Mac Mini.

And you can probably keep this machine for 10 years or more based on your current usage.

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
There’s some Mini owners that want to unload their M1 because it’s stuck forever at 16 GB of RAM.
Not everyone needs more than 16 GB of RAM today of course, but 3-4 years from now when Apple Jacks up the memory requirement?

The safe bet is get a machine that has 32GB of RAM. Not for today, but for in the future.
Since no one knows what their future use will be like, best not to buy for it now and just get what you need later. Reality is, your future needs may require more than just additional RAM. Case in point... ARM versus INTEL. A lot of folks super-up their INTEL Macs for the future, only to find that the entire architecture changed on them.

Buy what you need, not what you think you will need down the road. That's a moving target. Since you can't upgrade these babies, you're essentially in the cycle of replacing your computer more often than you have in the past. If you're not going to replace the computer, odds are pretty good, you have no real future need as it is.

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
Judging by your use case and when you plan to upgrade, I would say that 16GB Mini is the better bet all things considered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.