Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BanditoB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
I was just in the Network preferences for my Mac Studio to verify how to find certain settings and I noticed something strange (at least to me).

In the list of network adapters in the left column there was an entry for the Studio Display and it's using a self-assigned IP address.

Is this normal? Is the Mac networking to the Studio Display via Thunderbolt? Since the Studio Display has an A-series-based SOC in it, I suppose that this is possible. However, since it's a self-assigned IP address, I assume that it isn't communicating with anything else.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or insights that anyone may have regarding this network connection.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
do you have a screenshot of this? do you have any docks or adapters connected to your studio display? could also be renamed network service entry.

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
I also have noticed this... I'm tempted to make it inactive.

Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 08.11.30 PM.png

BanditoB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
You can always disable it and see what happens! That could be fun, but just in case, you may want to have another display handy in case it cuts off the Studio Display completely.

lcubed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2020
when i asked this question back in april when i received my studio display, the collective wisdom here is that what the communications method used for updating the studio display firmware

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.