Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karl76uk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2021
Hello all I had a Mac studio it’s been returned and I’m waiting for a replacement, With the following configuration:
Apple M1 Max with 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine
32GB unified memory
2TB SSD storage
Front: Two USB-C ports, one SDXC card slot
Back: Four Thunderbolt 4 ports, two USB-A ports, one HDMI port, one 10Gb Ethernet port, one 3.5mm headphone jack

Now the problem is when I plugged in my iPad Pro M1 1 TB into the Mac studio at the back thunderbolt ports in any of them but would pop up randomly, but wouldn’t be recognised. I was using a Intel certified thunderbolt 4 cable, so then I took my iPad and that cable to an Apple Store to try on their Mac studio see I tried the Intel cable to see if it would do the same behaviour which it did so I then purchase a Thunderbolt 4 Apple cable 1.8m one and tried it on the Mac studio in the store, it was recognised by the Mac studio using the back ports without any problem any ideas why this could be why my mac didn’t work but the one in store did. Has anyone else come across this problem when using the ipad M1. Because according to the specifications the iPad M1 is supposed to be thunderbolt 3 so the thunderbolt four ports on the back of the Mac studio should become backwards compatible.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Thunderbolt cables use active signaling so it might not have been recognized due to some vendor signature. If it was certified it should "just" work.

karl76uk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2021
It wasn’t working with an apple thunderbolt 4 cable. But it work in one of their apple store on their Mac Studio with the apple cable.

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
Any other thunderbolt devices available that know to work that could plug in.

Is entirely possible that the ports on your machine don’t work, it is not unheard of that may have faulty ports on your specific machine.

Certainly as all worked on the studio in Apple store then the cable and ipad are known good.

With the previous cable showing same issue on the studio in store then could have been unlucky with the cable as well. any reason not just used the cable that comes with the iPad.

However if worked flawlessly with Apple cable on store studio but still an issue on yours then expect got faulty then ports and cable.

Get the replacement and enjoy.

I ordered the base studio that getting 6th May. Also have a new sonnet echo express 3e chassis that got that plugged onto mini so know that works ok so if have any issues then will update however doesn’t seem to be a widespread issue.

You are always going to get some faulty parts that make it through though.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
I had this issue with my external TB3 SSD and it was fixed by doing a reboot with the device attached.

karl76uk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2021
I just wanted the thunderbolt ports to be working so I could sync my iPad as fast as possible. Thanks for everyone’s reply’s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.