Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Antanast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Hi everyone.

Instead of shutting down normally I kept the power button pressed and forced a shutdown. After that my mcb wont boot.

It was an apfs drive and was in the process of encrypting. I am on High Sierra.

I tried recovery and all sorts of things but nothing.

I booted with recovery usb and in terminal I see my drives but for for some reason they became virtual drives (disk1s1 disk1s2 disk1s3 disk1s4). The computer is trying to boot from disk0 which there is nothing there.

Is there a way I could move those virtual drives as my disk0? The capacity is correct of all those virtual drives which means nothing was deleted.

Please help! 15002810705081696483236.jpg

ferko86

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2017
Sweden
What happens if you try to replace with a new HDD on your MBP ? install osx on your new hdd and then try to resume the encryption ? . that's what i would've tried.

Antanast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
What happens if you try to replace with a new HDD on your MBP ? install osx on your new hdd and then try to resume the encryption ? . that's what i would've tried.

Would an external hdd work?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My opinion only:

If you get it running again, DON'T use APFS.
It's too unstable at the moment.
Re-initalize and restore the drive as HFS+.
Things are going to go a lot smoother that way.

Antanast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
My opinion only:

If you get it running again, DON'T use APFS.
It's too unstable at the moment.
Re-initalize and restore the drive as HFS+.
Things are going to go a lot smoother that way.

Well I don't know how to get it running. I booted from an external HDD, and installed the OS X there but apart from those virtual drives, I cannot restore them to boot...

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"Well I don't know how to get it running. I booted from an external HDD, and installed the OS X there but apart from those virtual drives, I cannot restore them to boot..."

Do this:
1. Boot from external drive.
2. Open Disk Utility, RE-initialize the internal drive to HFS+ with journaling enabled.
3. Restore from your backup.

That should do it.

Antanast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
OP wrote:
"Well I don't know how to get it running. I booted from an external HDD, and installed the OS X there but apart from those virtual drives, I cannot restore them to boot..."

Do this:
1. Boot from external drive.
2. Open Disk Utility, RE-initialize the internal drive to HFS+ with journaling enabled.
3. Restore from your backup.

That should do it.

no backup...

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
no backup...

Seems like then you no choice but to restore your MBP without a backup and suffer the loss of all your data. One of the hazards of running a beta without previously making a backup. Next time use CCC or SuperDuper to clone your hard drive to an external drive. Then when things go south, you can always restore using the clone.

Antanast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Seems like then you no choice but to restore your MBP without a backup and suffer the loss of all your data. One of the hazards of running a beta without previously making a backup. Next time use CCC or SuperDuper to clone your hard drive to an external drive. Then when things go south, you can always restore using the clone.

Its frustrating though cause i see the drives as virtual but can't read them cause i guess sierra which is the external hdd os that i installed can't read apfs?

n0dder

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
Denmark
Is disk utility able to delete partitions and recreate partitions using guid instead of apfs?
Yes, if you use disk utility from High Sierra - e.g. you could create a High Sierra install media on USB and boot/recover from there.

/n0dder

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.