Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eddwardwood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
Hi there,

My iMac won't boot past the loading screen: it gets about half way then numerous lines of text appear including 'debugger called panic' and so on.

I am able to boot the computer in safe mode without any problems occuring so I am thinking .it may be a software issue (not very tech savvy I'll admit!).

I have also reset the PRAM and reinstalled the OS in recovery mode to no success, as well as.performing disk recovery which states no issues.

Any ideas? Attached is an image of the error.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20181024_232111.jpg
    20181024_232111.jpg
    768.9 KB · Views: 213

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
It would help if you told us which Mac you had and what year it was made.
Also what version of the OS.
Is anything connected to it?

Eddwardwood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
It would help if you told us which Mac you had and what year it was made.
Also what version of the OS.
Is anything connected to it?

Hi! Thanks for getting back to me :) Disconnected everything except keyboard and mouse. I have an iMac 2013 and I'm Running the latest OS Sierra.

Thanks

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Seems to me that some of the 2013 iMacs had a problem with the fusion drive (3tb model), where the HDD portion of the drive would fail.

You may or may not have that one.

Can you boot to internet recovery?
(command-option-R at boot)

Eddwardwood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
Seems to me that some of the 2013 iMacs had a problem with the fusion drive (3tb model), where the HDD portion of the drive would fail.

You may or may not have that one.

Can you boot to internet recovery?
(command-option-R at boot)

Hi there yes I can, this is where I reinstalled the OS from.

Eddwardwood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
Hi Mike, thanks for the suggestion. Removed a bunch of third-party software still lingering in my system and updated to Mojave.

Thanks guys!

Ed

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
You're welcome. Glad it worked.

Seems to me that some of the 2013 iMacs had a problem with the fusion drive (3tb model), where the HDD portion of the drive would fail. ...
You want to pay attention to this. These HHDs are now 5 years old, the average age of iMac HHDs when they fail.

It's working so there's no rush. With the recent price drop of SSDs, it's far less expensive now than it was 6 months ago. Also, Mojave supports APFS on Fusion drives so this is good. Yes, the other drive can be an SSD.

Better speed, greater reliability, cooler running and less fan noise—the only down side is the cost. 5 yr warranty SSDs have broken the $350 price barrier for 2T and $800 for 4T (860 EVO).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.