Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fleen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
I need to buy either an Air or a MacBook, though I wish I could wait for the next update instead.

If I get an Air, I'd go for a refurbished or used one -- likely the 2015 or '16 13” 1.6 GHz i5. It goes for $849-$899 (with 8GB/128GB) when it shows up from Apple or Gazelle. To approximately match its performance would take the newest MacBook, which hasn't shown up refurbished yet, so that's $1249 (on Amazon), PLUS the cost of port adapters.

The Air has been on "Don't Buy" status here for months, and I hate to buy something so long in the tooth and without the retina display (and force touch and redesigned keyboard). But is it worth spending $4-500 more for the MacBook + adapters instead, when performance would be comparable? Do the "Don't Buy" recommendations apply to buying used?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
The Air has been on "Don't Buy" status here for months, and I hate to buy something so long in the tooth and without the retina display (and force touch and redesigned keyboard). But is it worth spending $4-500 more for the MacBook + adapters instead, when performance would be comparable? Do the "Don't Buy" recommendations apply to buying used?

The "Don't Buy" recommendations apply to buying new, as it's likely that an upcoming update/refresh will be getting released shortly. As such it's not worth paying full RRP if there's a new one around the corner.

They're all great computers though, so if you're buying used for a large saving, there's nothing wrong with that. :)

Fleen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
Thanks, keysofanxiety. Since price drops usually ripple down through the used models when there's a new release, it seemed like a 'Don't Buy' at the top level would apply throughout. Is there a reason that you think otherwise?

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
1. That new MacBook Retina keyboard is ***** horrible and the battery life on that machine isn't so great either. And then there's the terrible port situation.

2. If you can get a good deal on an Air, I'm sure it could tide you over until that next update (MacBook Pro or whatever it's gonna be).

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2013
Because dont buy it means buying Macbook Air in 2016, its a joke for an outdated laptop which is abandoned by Apple, no more major updates, display is still in TN (viewing angles are pretty awful) and low resolution (which is a nightmare for web browsing)
I dont buy anything without Retina or at least 1080p and IPS is a thousand times better than TN

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The Air has been on "Don't Buy" status here for months, and I hate to buy something so long in the tooth and without the retina display

There's no guarantee the MBAs will get retina displays. Some people have the opinion that Apple will kill off the MBAs as well. The laptop line is crowded - Apple has a mixture of MBA/MBP/MB of: 11", 12", 13" (three distinct models), and 15"

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I think the "Do Not Buy" is because of Apple asking today's premium prices while selling yesterday's hardware. Some of these models haven't been updated in 2 years or more. The only way I can justify buying a Mac (other than the rMB) now is if Apple discounts them or through refurb.

Fleen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
There's no guarantee the MBAs will get retina displays. Some people have the opinion that Apple will kill off the MBAs as well. The laptop line is crowded - Apple has a mixture of MBA/MBP/MB of: 11", 12", 13" (three distinct models), and 15"
As long as the update has a retina display, is sleeker than the Pro, and/or has a port or two more than the MB, that would be better for me than the current Air, Pro, and MB. I don't mind if it's in the Pro or MB line instead of an Air.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
As long as the update has a retina display, is sleeker than the Pro, and/or has a port or two more than the MB, that would be better for me than the current Air, Pro, and MB. I don't mind if it's in the Pro or MB line instead of an Air.

The air is unlikely to be updated again, so you'll be looking at the pro, that will be out sometime in fall, if you can wait do so if not buy a current pro they are great machines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.