Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Whistler, BC
I need a second device (have the 15” MBP or soon to be 16” (hopefully someday) which I will take out occasionally... BUT I am looking for something ultra portable (think the iPad 11” pro is too small) that I can take either with me on Air Trips or along side my 13” P.C. For work.
Both the iPAD 12.9 Gen 13 and MacBook 12” can do what I need them to do I am sure which is the usual Microsoft suite, some videos, web browsing, etc. But I just cant decide which one to pick up... price is pretty close between the two as well....
Any recommendations or experience between the two? I know the Ipad has Face ID which is nice... but part of me likes the lid and tradition but small form factor of the 12” macbook.

Thanks!

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I personally would choose the MacBook 12" for the reasons you stated. However, finding a new one at the right price might be difficult. And it looks like Apple is not going to update it any longer. I know Best Buy had some on sale not too long ago as well as B&H Photo in NY.

I'm of the opinion (and also an iPad Pro owner) that an iPad can not take the place of a traditional computer.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Whistler, BC
I personally would choose the MacBook 12" for the reasons you stated. However, finding a new one at the right price might be difficult. And it looks like Apple is not going to update it any longer. I know Best Buy had some on sale not too long ago as well as B&H Photo in NY.

I'm of the opinion (and also an iPad Pro owner) that an iPad can not take the place of a traditional computer.
What do you mean by “ it wont be updated” software? There are a few left here in my area... for about $850 for 256gb...
I don’t know my significant other swears the iPad can do everything a computer can! Lol... again, this is a sidekick ... to a production machine for me...

kp98077

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Whistler, BC
Also, although I like the 12" MacBook, I get nervous a bit because it was d/c and history of keyboard issues over the iPad Pro..... thoughts?

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
What do you mean by “ it wont be updated” software?
He meant it was discontinued. It will get software updates. Apple provides 4 years free warranty for keyboard issues. It does not have touch screen but is a lot more capable device IMHO.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Whistler, BC
He meant it was discontinued. It will get software updates. Apple provides 4 years free warranty for keyboard issues. It does not have touch screen but is a lot more capable device IMHO.
thanks, yeah I just don't know if having a 12 MacBook and a MacBook Pro would be overkill....

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
thanks, yeah I just don't know if having a 12 MacBook and a MacBook Pro would be overkill....
I always travel with MB 12, it's so portable I take it on short trips and around the house. Ipad was handed down to kids because MB 12 weighted the same but I value multitasking and physical keyboard. I handed down MBP to my wife because I did not need it anymore.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Whistler, BC
I always travel with MB 12, it's so portable I take it on short trips and around the house. Ipad was handed down to kids because MB 12 weighted the same but I value multitasking and physical keyboard. I handed down MBP to my wife because I did not need it anymore.
Haha yes kids always get the iPads ... or try ...

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
IMO, MS Office is a pain to use on the iPad Pro, due to the lack of a touchpad. Much nicer on the MacBook.

You can download Netflix episodes on the iPad Pro, but not on the MacBook. Also, video on the iPad Pro is HDR. It's SDR on the MacBook.

Sometimes I actually take both my iPad Pro 10.5 and my 12" MacBook with me. BTW, with Catalina and iPadOS 13, you can use the iPad Pro as an external monitor for the MacBook.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Whistler, BC
IMO, MS Office is a pain to use on the iPad Pro, due to the lack of a touchpad. Much nicer on the MacBook.

You can download Netflix episodes on the iPad Pro, but not on the MacBook. Also, video on the iPad Pro is HDR. It's SDR on the MacBook.

Sometimes I actually take both my iPad Pro 10.5 and my 12" MacBook with me. BTW, with Catalina and iPadOS 13, you can use the iPad Pro as an external monitor for the MacBook.
Oy! Never easy lol. I’ll
Usually have work laptop with so I’ll need something for airplane media for sure ! Then personal/ social

kp98077

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Whistler, BC
Price wise Best Buy has a few of the 256gb MB 12” for $1020. The iPad Pro is 1150 + the keyboard of $198 so that is about $400 more for the iPad....

Reactions: thera

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK

I also have both 12” MacBook and 12.9” iPad Pro 3rd gen with ASK. I have an iMac as well but i am often away from it for a week or so with just the 12” MacBook and iPP combo. A few thoughts:

Not sure of actual measurements but subjectively the 12” MacBook feels smaller, lighter and more portable than the iPP+ASK combo. OTOH the ASK protects the iPP well whereas the MB needs more care handling.

The battery life of the iPP is better than the already good MB. Again not sure of the official numbers so my impression may reflect the usage I make of each.

The iPP has LTE which is sometimes very useful.

I agree the iPP can do almost everything the MB can do, but the iPad way often takes some discovering and learning, and it just doesn’t feel as easy. I’m sure if I only had an IPP this feeling would reduce, like someone who loses the use of their right hand becomes left handed. Sometimes doing things on the iPad feels like being forced to use my left hand.

Of course the iPP is better for watching TV, movies etc, reading, and viewing and showing Photos to others, and I do enough of these to justify having both.

Reactions: radiologyman

kp98077

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Whistler, BC
I also have both 12” MacBook and 12.9” iPad Pro 3rd gen with ASK. I have an iMac as well but i am often away from it for a week or so with just the 12” MacBook and iPP combo. A few thoughts:

Not sure of actual measurements but subjectively the 12” MacBook feels smaller, lighter and more portable than the iPP+ASK combo. OTOH the ASK protects the iPP well whereas the MB needs more care handling.

The battery life of te iPP is better than the already good MB. Again not sure of the official numbers so my impression may reflect the usage I make of each.

The iPP has LTE which is sometimes very useful.

I agree the iPP can do almost everything the MB can do, but the iPad way often takes some discovering and learning, and it just doesn’t feel as easy. I’m sure if I only had an IPP this feeling would reduce, like someone who loses the use of their right hand becomes left handed. Sometimes doing things on the iPad feels like being forced to use my left hand.

Of course the iPP is better for watching TV, movies etc, reading, and viewing and showing Photos to others, and I do enough of these to justify having both.
yeah its always a balance for sure! I hate the finger prints on the iPad Pro however.... ugh.. lol...

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
yeah its always a balance for sure! I hate the finger prints on the iPad Pro however.... ugh.. lol...

Ha ha....one problem of owning both, which I didn't mention, is that my 12" MacBook screen is covered with fingerprints too, as my fingers forget which device they are on!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.