Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Orange_

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2021
A complete revelation happened today!

Usually my MacBook dies after 2 HOURS use of simple safari browsing.
The fans would be blaring like CRAZY and I've be on to apple support nearly every week trying to fix it.

FINALLY today I discovered AND fixed the issue, thanks to a reddit post; so I thought I'd post on here too in hopes that it will help someone.

Long story short I turned off 'reminders' in iCloud on my mac.

Basically after studying my activity monitor 'remindd' was at the top using 98% of my CPU, which confused the heck out of me!
After looking online it seems there's a huge iCloud bug causing the reminders app (even though it was never even open) to spike my CPU, straining the battery life and spinning the fans like crazy and dying after 2 hours!!!

I couldn't believe the difference after I switched that setting off! I'm now getting up to 8 hours of use on the mac running the same apps. Game changer.

Don't get me wrong when I'm gaming or doing music/video editing and the fans get going it still tanks the battery in 2-3 hours, but the mac would last less than an hour before under a heavy load...

I'm posting this as I've not seen it on here before, I hope it can help others with their battery life and fan noise!

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
Yeah I have to keep my reminders in iCloud syncing off for similar reasons. Even when it's on, it's not syncing correctly making the reminders app totally useless for me. Not sure when this is going to be fixed. Just using Google's tasks for now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.