Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UpstateMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2018
Hello all! First, I would like to thank anyone who can assist! I have looked through many, many posts trying to find a fix and would be very grateful if someone has a solution. Second - while I do have some knowledge of Macs and PCs and computing in general - I am not super savvy and may need more of a step-by-strp guide.

Soooooo - I have a 13" macbook pro retina, with the original 128GB drive. All is well, I have both Mac OS and Bootcamp successfully installed... But like many, I wanted a larger drive but was hoping to be able to use the less expensive Samsung EVO drives. I got an adapter, the drive, and swapped out the hardware. I decided to make a Mojave USB drive and decided to do a fresh install. All is well and everything works.

Emboldened by my success, I loaded bootcamp assistant, downloaded the latest version of Windows 10 and began.

Everything works creating the USB, starting the bootcamp assistant, and beginning to get windows loaded on the macbook. Before everything can get up in running, I get a blue screen with a critical error - and a loop of errors.

I have restarted multiple times, I have tried Windows 10 version 1607 instead of the latest version, I have completely refreshed the machine reloading a fresh install of Mojave. Same results. I have gone into recovery of the Windows load and tried troubleshooting and trying to load in safe mode and all the options there - and still cannot get past the error.

Just to check, I did a fresh install of the original Mac 128 GB drive and I CAN get Windows up and running on that drive.

I can only assume there is some problem with Bootcamp loading on to a non-Mac drive. I have used bootcamp on a 2012 Macbook - both with the mechanical drive and when I updated that to a SSD - but I cannot get past this failure blue screen and the error restarted message on this unit. Has anyone been able to get Windows up on a non-Mac drive?

Again, any assistance, any ideas, would be appreciated. Thanks!

fortuner800

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2019
Hi, May i know have you resolve the above issue? I am having the ecact same problem, running high sierra or mojave itself is no issue but trying to bootcamp to window installation encounter error during win start up.

pippox0

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2014
It seems that bootcamp does'nt have the ssd adapter drivers...
So look at website of ssd adapter to get windows10 drivers.
Then try to install win10 with or without bootcamp.
You need to add the drivers to windows10 iso or usb and so you need a pc with an installed windows os

fortuner800

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2019
It seems that bootcamp does'nt have the ssd adapter drivers...
So look at website of ssd adapter to get windows10 drivers.
Then try to install win10 with or without bootcamp.
You need to add the drivers to windows10 iso or usb and so you need a pc with an installed windows os
[doublepost=1557811323][/doublepost]Hi pippox0, do you mean by 1st install the m.2 ssd on other pc first (and updates its driver or fw "if have" ) then switch back to the mac air.
Regards

Ben

pippox0

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2014
[doublepost=1557811323][/doublepost]Hi pippox0, do you mean by 1st install the m.2 ssd on other pc first (and updates its driver or fw "if have" ) then switch back to the mac air.
Regards

Ben

Yeah, exactly ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.