Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iam117

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
Hi all skylake Macbook 2016 users

I have a few questions before purchasing this macbook, hope can get some tips from you guys..

I mainly use this macbook for:
1) traveling
2) email, word processing (this one no problem to handle for sure)
3) adobe lightroom for Nikon D750 RAW photo editing (mainly editing some photos, applying VSCO/WB/exposure adjustment when traveling)
4) adobe premiere pro for 1080p editing, files from Nikon DSLR or Sony A7s (not main machine, but must be able to use when in need)

Questions:
I have MBP 15inch for my heavy usage, this new macbook mainly will use it when traveling, and use as backup in case of anything urgent and when I do not have my MBP with me...

1) can this Macbook 2016 handle Premiere Pro editing? maybe loading a 400-600 video files(about 80-100GB) from DSLR, combining clips with music, one layer color adjustment.. I do not use this Macbook as my main machine but in urgent case, can this Macbook handle the job? I do not mind minor lag when playback directly from timeline, I can pause and play again, as long as it doesn't lag when i preview the files and place the files in the timeline :)
2) can this Macbook 2016 handle my Adobe lightroom work?
3) based on my usage, I planning to get the 256GB SSD model, should I get m3 or m7? Specifically target to my urgent use when I need to perform editing in Lightroom and Premiere, the extra CPU Ghz will make any different?

Thanks a lot in advance :)

Last edited:

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
I had the previous version and honestly: don't do it. Mine started lagging already with larger MS Word files. Editing larger RAW files is an exercise in patience. The new one's are only marginally faster. If you can live with reduced battery life (and / or carrying around a charger) I'd honestly go with a Surface Pro 4 instead.

Reactions: iam117

where is it

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
England
Hi all skylake Macbook 2016 users

I have a few questions before purchasing this macbook, hope can get some tips from you guys..

I mainly use this macbook for:
1) traveling
2) email, word processing (this one no problem to handle for sure)
3) adobe lightroom for Nikon D750 RAW photo editing (mainly editing some photos, applying VSCO/WB/exposure adjustment when traveling)
4) adobe premiere pro for 1080p editing, files from Nikon DSLR or Sony A7s (not main machine, but must be able to use when in need)

Questions:
I have MBP 15inch for my heavy usage, this new macbook mainly will use it when traveling, and use as backup in case of anything urgent and when I do not have my MBP with me...

1) can this Macbook 2016 handle Premiere Pro editing? maybe loading a 400-600 video files(about 80-100GB) from DSLR, combining clips with music, one layer color adjustment.. I do not use this Macbook as my main machine but in urgent case, can this Macbook handle the job? I do not mind minor lag when playback directly from timeline, I can pause and play again, as long as it doesn't lag when i preview the files and place the files in the timeline :)
2) can this Macbook 2016 handle my Adobe lightroom work?
3) based on my usage, I planning to get the 256GB SSD model, should I get m3 or m7? Specifically target to my urgent use when I need to perform editing in Lightroom and Premiere, the extra CPU Ghz will make any different?

Thanks a lot in advance :)

The first two bullet points the Macbook will do just fine.

However, after this your work load looks heavy duty.

If I was you, I'd be sticking to a Macbook Pro for now and getting my job done. Just remember to have it with you when you think you might need it in an emergency.

The Macbook really is for light usage. Web, email, spreadsheets. A little Photoshop to maybe edit out an ugly friend from a photo before saving to the web. That sort of thing.

The Macbook is not intended for batch processing large RAW files and video work. It doesn't have a fan and after a short time things will slow down as the Mac tries to cools itself.

Apple sell more powerful laptops for a reason. To get the grunt work done. Once you've done that then go and sit outside with your Macbook thinking up your next big idea before coming in again to get the job done.

iam117

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
thanks for the reply kis.. but i need Mac OS.. i can't go for other option besides Mac..

Thanks where is it.. i have been reading mixed review online.. have you try to use Macbook with Premiere or Lightroom?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I use my rMB (2015/1.2/512) with LR6 and Olympus 16MP RAW files, as well as DXO Optics Pro 10 and Aurora HDR.
LR is fine, particularly if you don't have shutter diarrhea and can tolerate a bit of slowness as LR builds its previews. It's really handy for doing the first culls of keepers vs trash and works well in that context. Aurora HDR bogs down a fair bit doing a five-image HDR merge but is tolerable.

I wouldn't want the rMB as my sole computer for this stuff, but within its limitations it does a fine job on trips.

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
thanks for the reply kis.. but i need Mac OS.. i can't go for other option besides Mac..

sure? Give Windows 10 a try - I certainly was pleasantly surprised. I can use all services and software I had / have on the Mac, no issues whatsoever. But then I have a CC subscription for Lightroom etc, which will let me install the software on both Mac OS and Windows. I'm not saying Windows 10 is better than Mac OS - I still greatly prefer the simplicity of Mac OS over anything Microsoft has to offer, but in the end, they both get the job done, and Windows 10 is far from the eyesore previous versions used to be. I actually quite like working on it. It has some excellent features (like split-screen app arrangement that actually works etc.) that greatly enhance productivity.

iam117

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
thanks for all the replies.. however, anyone can share with me how m3 and m7 can affect the work on lightroom and premiere pro? better processor will affect these 2 programs in which way?

thanks!

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
thanks for all the replies.. however, anyone can share with me how m3 and m7 can affect the work on lightroom and premiere pro? better processor will affect these 2 programs in which way?

thanks!

Well, a better processor sure won't influence it negatively - don't think there's much more anyone will be able to tell you at this point

Last edited:
Reactions: deeddawg
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.