Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

enthawizeguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
North Hollywood, CA
How is the newest macbook with lightroom and photoshop... I mainly use lightroom and would like a more portable alternative to my mbp. Esp since they did not announce the new ones today. Is it possible to use ableton live or edit videos at all as well? I think my main things for this computer would be Lightroom, some light photoshop and making beats with ableton on occasion .

christ0pher

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2016
i can't comment on lightroom and ableton, but i've done photoshop work (web design and logo design), and it works as well as it did on my 2015 macbook air. i'm going to start delving into 3d graphic design in blender over the uni holidays, interested to see how it will hold up.

edit: i have the m7 model by the way.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Can't comment on Photoshop, but Lightroom works fine on my 2015 rMB. Just as fast as my quad-core i7 mac mini for most things, though it slows down somewhat on batch processing stuff. Not an issue for me, if I've just kicked off an export of a bunch of RAW files I'm likely stepping away for coffee or something anyway.

crewkid89

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
United States
I'm using lightroom and photoshop, they both work fine. DAWs like Ableton completely depend on how many tracks/effects you plan to run simultaneously. I haven't tried a DAW on my new macbook yet but I'd assume you'd be fine with at least 8 simultaneous tracks based on experience running Logic and Studio One on older macs.

enthawizeguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
North Hollywood, CA
You guys are talking bout the 2016 MacBook the little guy right ? I'm coming from a quad core i7 with 16gb ram. It's a 2011 early MacBook pro and that runs slow for Lightroom now . I mainly do Lightroom but I'd like to start making beats in Ableton again . On photoshop I most likely would just do some retouching of portraits . I heard final cut works fine

jimixdnb

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2016
why would you choose this 2016 rMB over a rMBP (since they basically cost the same now), especially for these tasks? first of all, you get all the problems with the single port: you will most definitely need an adapter over time, because ableton drains your battery like crazy if you seriously wanna work with it. on top of that: you simply can't hook on some usb accessory like keyboards, ableton push, etc. without using a hub.
then you probably will get all the issues with thermo throttling I've read about... and all that for what? a core m processor? for half an inch in thickness?

Last edited:

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
why would you choose this 2016 rMB over a rMBP (since they basically cost the same now

There's an old saying that goes "if you have to ask, you won't understand"...

The rMB is all about ultra-portability. However, that ultra portability comes at the cost of some compromises. If you're someone who has no need of that level of portability, then it's likely you can't see a reason to get a rMB. In fact, if you (or the OP) really just leaves it sit on the desk most of the time and rarely moves it from place to place, then an rMBP is probably the better choice.

jimixdnb

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2016
There's an old saying that goes "if you have to ask, you won't understand"...
The rMB is all about ultra-portability. However, that ultra portability comes at the cost of some compromises. If you're someone who has no need of that level of portability, then it's likely you can't see a reason to get a rMB. In fact, if you (or the OP) really just leaves it sit on the desk most of the time and rarely moves it from place to place, then an rMBP is probably the better choice.
all that I'm saying is: this is most definitely not the perfect device for ableton, not even for starters. or any other daw in fact. because producing comes not only with a high cpu load, but (sooner or later) with tons of plugins, other gear, usb devices, midi devices and other accessories. and having to pull out the power chord, just to stick my push in (why the hell doesn't it have at least 2 ports? there is no possible reason), or, instead: buying a bunch of hubs - totally defeats the portability argument for me. but I am the one not "understanding" here?
Synkro14-650-80.JPG

Last edited:

crewkid89

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
United States
all that I'm saying is: this is most definitely not the perfect device for ableton, not even for starters. or any other daw in fact. because producing comes not only with a high cpu load, but (sooner or later) with tons of plugins, other gear, usb devices, midi devices and other accessories. and having to pull out the power chord, just to stick my push in (why the hell doesn't it have at least 2 ports? there is no possible reason), or, instead: buying a bunch of hubs - totally defeats the portability argument for me. but I am the one not "understanding" here?

OP said "Making beats with Ableton on occasion." Not "I am a professional DJ/producer and need a serious machine that can handle 16 simultaneous tracks of virtual instruments and effects". OP also said that portability is their main goal. Ableton requires "Multicore processor; 4GB RAM". It doesn't make sense to recommend a higher powered, less portable machine that far exceeds the needs of 90% of what they're doing. Additionally there is now a wide range of hubs available. I am using the HooToo hub everyday and it works fine with bus powered devices. MIDI controllers and USB Audio Interfaces are not very demanding devices. If I was able to do this in 2007 with protools recording 8-16 tracks with effects on DP G5 with 2GB RAM, a dual core M5 with 8GB of RAM should be able to handle it just fine in the year 2016.

jimixdnb

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2016
OP also said that portability is their main goal.
since he is coming from a 2011 (15"?) non retina MBP, probably also a 13" rMBP would appear as a quite portable machine to him? I didn't read anywhere that it had to be the smallest laptop ever made?
and there are STILL (well, someday) the new rMBPs coming. I would definitely consider this option as well.

It doesn't make sense to recommend a higher powered, less portable machine that far exceeds the needs of 90% of what they're doing.
if you think so... fine. I have a different opinion. I think that the experience with ableton probably won't be very satisfying, if you use more than a few tracks (PS and LR are a different story, these aren't very demanding applications). and I also think the rMB is a crippled device.
roughly for the same price, roughly in the same form factor as a nearly perfect laptop (rMB: 1,31cm thick, rMBP: 1,8cm thick)
and yeah: I use hubs too, but let's face it: it just sucks, having to use them... they eventually add latency, etc.
... and finally this: I actually started on a ****** dual core notebook with ableton, I know what it's like (and I'm no professional either), it's the main reason I bought a quad core macbook - and I wouldn't go back to such an underpowered machine ever again (especially if I didn't had too). just look at the benchmarks man...

form is way > function here.

Last edited:

enthawizeguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
North Hollywood, CA
i got the m7 ... we will see what happens i haven't been making much music lately . it will mostly be used for photography. Ableton still runs fine on my 2011 mbp. i just want portability.
[doublepost=1466117679][/doublepost]anyone know of the best sd card reader hub and usb that still lets u stay plugged in to power.

Reactions: Precursor

crewkid89

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
United States
i got the m7 ... we will see what happens i haven't been making much music lately . it will mostly be used for photography. Ableton still runs fine on my 2011 mbp. i just want portability.
[doublepost=1466117679][/doublepost]anyone know of the best sd card reader hub and usb that still lets u stay plugged in to power.
The Hootoo shuttle has pass through charging, sdxc, 3 usb3 ports, and HDMI for the same price as the apple one. It works great.

thingstoponder

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2014
since he is coming from a 2011 (15"?) non retina MBP, probably also a 13" rMBP would appear as a quite portable machine to him? I didn't read anywhere that it had to be the smallest laptop ever made?
and there are STILL (well, someday) the new rMBPs coming. I would definitely consider this option as well.

if you think so... fine. I have a different opinion. I think that the experience with ableton probably won't be very satisfying, if you use more than a few tracks (PS and LR are a different story, these aren't very demanding applications). and I also think the rMB is a crippled device.
roughly for the same price, roughly in the same form factor as a nearly perfect laptop (rMB: 1,31cm thick, rMBP: 1,8cm thick)
and yeah: I use hubs too, but let's face it: it just sucks, having to use them... they eventually add latency, etc.
... and finally this: I actually started on a ****** dual core notebook with ableton, I know what it's like (and I'm no professional either), it's the main reason I bought a quad core macbook - and I wouldn't go back to such an underpowered machine ever again (especially if I didn't had too). just look at the benchmarks man...

form is way > function here.

You're projecting your needs and use cases onto him. He clearly doesn't need a lot of power, he just messes around making beats occasionally. Any machine could handle this stuff.

evec

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2016
New macbook is not suitable for music production.
Music production not require very fast computer power but require low latency for IO,
use hub for main sound interface is bad idea because you need to ensure the sound interface should handle the sound without kiss or dismiss signal, as using any hub can not graduated this.

For Macbook without Fan so it will slow down immediately when overheat, it will affect the latency of music record.
MBA/MBP with fan will remain on high frequency without drop down when no high 3D GPU usage (for music software those computer can maintenance highest frequency),
sorry about Macbook require positive cool down when fully load of CPU.

Also you may require to load some software sound module or analog synthesizer, this require very fast computer run consistency

Yes, the power of Macbook is designed for many people, but not suitable for heavy using like music recording.

crewkid89

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
United States
New macbook is not suitable for music production.
Music production not require very fast computer power but require low latency for IO,
use hub for main sound interface is bad idea because you need to ensure the sound interface should handle the sound without kiss or dismiss signal, as using any hub can not graduated this.

For Macbook without Fan so it will slow down immediately when overheat, it will affect the latency of music record.
MBA/MBP with fan will remain on high frequency without drop down when no high 3D GPU usage (for music software those computer can maintenance highest frequency),
sorry about Macbook require positive cool down when fully load of CPU.

Also you may require to load some software sound module or analog synthesizer, this require very fast computer run consistency

Yes, the power of Macbook is designed for many people, but not suitable for heavy using like music recording.
I do not understand where this idea is coming from that music production requires a high end computer. Most consumer grade audio interfaces run on USB 1.1 or 2.0, most people are not recording 8-16+ simultaneous tracks with effects. OP has already even said they are not focusing on music as a primary use for their machine. Casual audio recording is not CPU intensive and plugins tend to be more RAM intensive than anything. Digital audio recording is not a new thing and the computer is not the most important piece in the signal chain. A beginner would be better off putting money towards good Mics and instruments not an overpowered PC.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I make music in Propellerhead Reason, Logic & Garageband with a G4 Powerbook and a G5 iMac....if I had a current multicore Mac I'd still make the same music.
If music is your game, you can take any Mac, G3 onwards, pick the era relevant software and do it - convincing yourself that your hardware isn't sophisticated enough is inventing your own cage.

enthawizeguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
North Hollywood, CA
I do not understand where this idea is coming from that music production requires a high end computer. Most consumer grade audio interfaces run on USB 1.1 or 2.0, most people are not recording 8-16+ simultaneous tracks with effects. OP has already even said they are not focusing on music as a primary use for their machine. Casual audio recording is not CPU intensive and plugins tend to be more RAM intensive than anything. Digital audio recording is not a new thing and the computer is not the most important piece in the signal chain. A beginner would be better off putting money towards good Mics and instruments not an overpowered PC.

yah my 2010 mac mini runs ableton fine with 8gb ram so this should be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.