Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guyguy17

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2017
I have a MacBook Air (M1) model and the localadmin account is locked. This account is the only one on the computer with admin rights. It does have a teacher (mobile) account and the teacher can sign in. It is connected to an AD server. This computer is running Big Sur and was not upgrade from a previous macOS.

I did restart computer and tried SMC which it didn't work. I tried to invoke Recovery and that didn't work either.

I am going to wait the 24 hour period to see if that works or not.

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
Request the service desk to have the AD team unlock the account?
Although the name localadmin implies it is not an AD account. How did it come to be locked?

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
I have a MacBook Air (M1) model and the localadmin account is locked. This account is the only one on the computer with admin rights. It does have a teacher (mobile) account and the teacher can sign in. It is connected to an AD server. This computer is running Big Sur and was not upgrade from a previous macOS.

I did restart computer and tried SMC which it didn't work. I tried to invoke Recovery and that didn't work either.

I am going to wait the 24 hour period to see if that works or not.
A bit late now, but never ever have the only admin account connected to a third paty authentication system.

One should always have a second admin account for times such as this.

guyguy17

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2017
Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately, there is only one account on the computer. While I agree with TiggrToo there should be more than one admin account on it. We have deployed many computers of the same model and configuration to the staff. This is the first unusual situation like it.

I am not sure what happened with the local account but we use Casper to manage these computers and I tried to unlock it but it didn't work.

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
Yeah so if it’s managed like that, submit a ticket. You won’t be able to do anything yourself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.