Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdnyates

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2017
Chicago, IL
I have a MacBook air that was purchased for my daughter for college in August 2017. Recently she did an update and since then it will turn on and we here the chime but the screen stays completely black. I have tried various steps such as hift+Control+Option+Power button at the same time for a few seconds as well as holding the "s" while powering and other options starting with the "P" and "R" and still nothing. I have checked and sometimes the caps lock button light turns on, other times during reboots it doesn't. I can't figure out what is going on but I didn't have the money for apple care, the store says I have to send it out for repair but for $500 and I am barely putting a roof over my kid's heads with a current layoff at work. Anyone know what the problem might be for me to try at home?

Lgswe

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2014
turn off first! Then you hold down R and cmd then turn on. Here you can start by trying reload the OS

mdnyates

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2017
Chicago, IL
turn off first! Then you hold down R and cmd then turn on. Here you can start by trying reload the OS

If I reload the OS I am assuming I will lose everything on the computer right? How do I go about getting the OS so I can reload it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.