Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShizumiAoki

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2019
Australia
Hello, I was looking at away to charge my 2014 MacBook Air while camping (I’m from Australia) either while remote or within the tent. I would like to be able to charge the Mac more then once (preferred 3 times on a single charge from 0 to 100) Or with the ability to plug up to solar to be charge the charger.

Would anyone have any recommendations for portable charger to charge a 2014 MacBook Air while camping.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

xboxbml

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2015
Hello, I was looking at away to charge my 2014 MacBook Air while camping either while remote or within the tent. I would like to be able to charge the Mac more then once (preferred 3 times on a single charge from 0 to 100) Or with the ability to plug up to solar to be charge the charger.

Would anyone have any recommendations for portable charger to charge a 2014 MacBook Air while camping.

Thank you for your time.
Amazon is your friend...
I don't have anything like that, but this looks small enough..

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
To charge 3 times, you would need a power bank that offers at least 150Whr. The MacBook Air has a battery capacity of 54Whr.

kapolani

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2011
USA
Not sure what your price range or your commitment to your power supply setup is, but my gear includes:

And any suitable solar array you want to carry/pack/load.

There are varying sizes, but this is the one most taken out into the field. It should supply more than enough power for your needs, plus a little extra for phones etc.

xboxbml

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2015
Not sure what your price range or your commitment to your power supply setup is, but my gear includes:

There are varying sizes, but this is the one most taken out into the field. It should supply more than enough power for your needs, plus a little extra for phones etc.
Nice! I'm in their Amazon store looking at their stuff. Looks pretty good.. I might have to get me one of those..

kapolani

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2011
USA
I have a love hate relationship with Amazon.

I don’t like their tactics with respect to small businesses but they always have the same gear with better prices and free shipping.

I have a few different power banks dependent upon mission and needs. Paired with a good solar array and weather permitting you should have more than enough power.

My wife and kids like glamping- baby steps - they need some creature comforts. Fridge, coffee maker, and the like are loaded into my rig and we go out for a while.

ShizumiAoki

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2019
Australia

There are varying sizes, but this is the one most taken out into the field. It should supply more than enough power for your needs, plus a little extra for phones

My price range is around $500 to $900 (aud) and solar would also be an option but was worried that by it self would not be good enough to charge so was thinking power unite t solar would be good.it seem that Amazon listing is a good option since allot in Australia do not normally include the power plug for laptops.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002

kapolani

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2011
USA
My price range is around $500 to $900 (aud) and solar would also be an option but was worried that by it self would not be good enough to charge so was thinking power unite t solar would be good.it seem that Amazon listing is a good option since allot in Australia do not normally include the power plug for laptops.

If I had that as starting capital I would go for a larger unit like the one I posted. I am of the mind that there is no such thing as too much reserve power.

Calculate how much wattage/amps you need and work backwards from there.

I would double what you say you need as a good starting point. Say you want to charge your laptop and phones 5 times each - calculate the total charge needed and match to a unit.

A bigger unit could last you a whole trip and no need to replenish. Down the road when your needs are better quantified add some solar to it if needed.

Hope that helps!

kapolani

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2011
USA

We lug a Honda unit around when we are going to have movie night when out in the field. All depends on how long or how much gear needs to be powered.

Also a good option but different process and a little more work involved using a generator with regards to carrying fuel etc.

MarkAtl

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2019
If I was camping within range of a vehicle I’d probably bring my small Yamaha inverter.

if I was backpacking I’d bring my GoalZero Sherpa and see if I could find an aftermarket MagSafe cable so I could bypass the inverter and Apple AC adapter.

ShizumiAoki

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2019
Australia
If I was camping within range of a vehicle I’d probably bring my small Yamaha inverter.

if I was backpacking I’d bring my GoalZero Sherpa and see if I could find an aftermarket MagSafe cable so I could bypass the inverter and Apple AC adapter.

The GoalZero seems like a cool option but I don’t see a AC version for Australia sadly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.