Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markcbell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2016
san francisco
Hi,

I recently had my MacBook Air 13" mid 2013 screen and possibly graphic card break and since it's my work laptop, I needed a quick replacement. Apple support was more than 5 days wait time, so to save a few bucks and still get up running fast and after doing a lot of research I made a quick decision to buy a 'new' MacBook Air 13" early 2015 with 128GB SSD and replace it with my old 512GB SSD.
Install went fine and everything booted up, but since then I'm experiencing the laptop often freezes after going into sleep, eg. closing the laptop, or timing out, or today I got a black 'Panic' screen. Only way to recover is to push power button to shut down and reboot, which means all the stuff I've being working on, emails etc. is gone.
Anyone had this experience and would know if it relates to incompatibility between the old 2013 512GB SSD and the 2015 new 128 GB SSD?

tampageek

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2015
Florida, USA
Hi,

I recently had my MacBook Air 13" mid 2013 screen and possibly graphic card break and since it's my work laptop, I needed a quick replacement. Apple support was more than 5 days wait time, so to save a few bucks and still get up running fast and after doing a lot of research I made a quick decision to buy a 'new' MacBook Air 13" early 2015 with 128GB SSD and replace it with my old 512GB SSD.
Install went fine and everything booted up, but since then I'm experiencing the laptop often freezes after going into sleep, eg. closing the laptop, or timing out, or today I got a black 'Panic' screen. Only way to recover is to push power button to shut down and reboot, which means all the stuff I've being working on, emails etc. is gone.
Anyone had this experience and would know if it relates to incompatibility between the old 2013 512GB SSD and the 2015 new 128 GB SSD?

The Early 2015 MBA uses and Apple NVMExpress controller. It works differently than the connection on the 2013 MBA and may explain your problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.