Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bfresh_8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2018
After the first year, MacBook Air 13 (2015) having no issues connecting to internet over wifi. Just over the last couple of months, I've noticed intermittent connectivity issues while connected to safari, chrome or bluetooth. The wifi signal is always strong (never loses the connection), however, unable to PING the default home ISP gateway anywhere between 5-10 minutes. All other devices at home work 100% of the time over wifi. I've even experienced this over at a friends place - same issue - connecting to wifi no problem....it's staying connected that's the issue. The only resolution is to reboot macbook.

Since I have apple care, I figured Apple would help resolve this issue. I have called numerous times and taken the Mac into the store several times. From my experience, Apple only wanted to test my laptop for 10 minutes (wifi data capture) and then make a decision - seriously!!!

Here is what we have done so far to resolve the intermittent internet issue.

- reset the SMC (system Management Controller)
- replaced WIFI controller
- reinstalled MAC O/S
- replaced home router (ISP confirmed latest software, disabled Smart Wifi, enabled separate 2.4 & 5Ghz frequencies)
- enabled wifi logging
- submitted data capture twice to engineering
- submitted data capture from apple store (after 10 minutes being in the store).

To make a long story short, the problem is intermittent and follows the MacBook (outside my home network). I stay connected 90% of the time, however, it's the other 10% that's annoying.

Apple customer relations has basically left me high and dry and closed the support case indicating it's an "environmental issue". Thanks Apple for following through with your promise to resolve this to the end.

Has anyone had a similar experience with their "Lemon-Air" having intermittent connectivity issues or poor customer support?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.