Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jakfrost

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
Ontario Canada
When away from home I have an Air that I like to upload the days images to and do some preliminary edits in the hotel room. I use iPhoto for this on the Air. I tried LR but its very slow with its little 1.8Gb processor.

So now when I get home and want to move the images from the Air to my desktop iMac I haven't found a 'clever' way to do this yet...and before I mess things up I thought I would ask here as I am sure someone must have figured out a clever and simple way to do this.

I have a home network but the Public 'Drop Box' keeps telling me I have do not have 'sufficient access privileges'...whatever the f--- that means. I have no password on either computer, they are mine, and I am the only one using them, grrrr.
This is so Windoz like its scary.

Jim

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Not sure if this is the best way to do it, but in theory, you could back-up your iMac's iPhoto Library to an external HDD. Bring that HDD with you when you travel and use the MBA with the external HDD.

When you get home, sync the external HDD back to the iMac.

Of course, this solution requires you to carry around an external HDD and assumes that no one is doing anything on the iMac's iPhoto library. Of course, you could just clone the entire iMac library onto the MBA and eliminate the external HDD altogether.

I think your situation screams for something like Aperture that has a more flexible library system.

ft

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
I agree! Managing multiple iPhoto libraries is a pain and I don't think there is an easy way to export/import with meta data and edits in tact between libraries either.

I'm surprised Lightroom is so slow on the Air, the processor shouldn't be a limiting factor so how much RAM do you have? It should run fine with 2GB, which I would expect an Air to have? With 2GB though you have to be careful with what other apps you have running as Lightroom is quite the memory hog.

jakfrost

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
Ontario Canada
Actually I managed to get the 'drop box' on the 'shared drive' to work so the images are now on my iMac.

The MBA is 1.6Gb not 1.8 as I mentioned earlier. There is 2Gb of 667Mhz DDR2 SDram but I still get the 'beach ball' whenever I try to do sharpening or some measure of repair...

Takes forever to close a modified file...maybe I'll upgrade to a new 15" pro:D:D

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Hmmm that makes me reconsider my future plan of picking up an Air, I would have thought they would have easily been able to handle at least some light photo retouching work... Maybe newer models are better!

So did you just export from one iPhoto library and then import to the other or what exactly? Do you lose any of the benefits of the non destructive editing or meta data with your method?

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Why don't you just export the files into a folder on the mounted HD on the iMac? That should be easy enough. You select the iMac in the Finder and mount it using your user name and password if you have any and then just export the images using iPhoto's export function.

jakfrost

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
Ontario Canada
Yea thats pretty much what I did Jason, just dragged the 'event' over to the 'shared>my imac>connect as> administrator>imac320g>pictures' and then went to my imac and dragged them all into the 'events page.

As far as I can tell they are intact...the pixel count is correct and they look the same :eek:.

Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.