Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

der.turbanator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2020
Hi, I am using Macbook Air mid-2017. Suddenly Since yesterday my Keyboard and trackpad are not working. I am able to input my password using keyboard but as soon as i am in Keyboard and trackpad stops working.

Things i have tried till now : -
SCM
NVPRAM
Deleting all third party software

SCm and NVPRAM was also performed using onboard keyboard.

Apple Store in my city is claiming that keyboard is defected. But how it can be? It works well when i put password. It only doesnot work after loging in

Can someone help me out please ?

Sam Reynolds

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2020
Same issue here, been having to use mine through USB mouse and keyboard and tried most common fixes and still no joy

brianmowrey

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2020
Made sure firmware password is off so that NVRAM reset actually works?

If so, time for a new user test / safe boot / or skip to clean reinstall OS, all the basic stuff.

Reactions: Sam Reynolds

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi, I am using Macbook Air mid-2017. Suddenly Since yesterday my Keyboard and trackpad are not working. I am able to input my password using keyboard but as soon as i am in Keyboard and trackpad stops working.

Things i have tried till now : -
SCM
NVPRAM
Deleting all third party software

SCm and NVPRAM was also performed using onboard keyboard.

Apple Store in my city is claiming that keyboard is defected. But how it can be? It works well when i put password. It only doesnot work after loging in

Can someone help me out please ?
Do you have a wireless keyboard or mouse nearby which might be connected with buttons pressed?

Sam Reynolds

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2020
Backup and clean install fixed for me. Bit of a long process to get everything back to where I wanted it but it works which is the main thing

der.turbanator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2020
Update: i was at apple store in my city. They ran diagnose. Things they told me shocked me.
There diagnose says:
- Battery is defect ( although battery have 500 cycles and give like 3 and half hours of netflix. normal work: 4 and half hours)
- IPD flex cable between keyboad, mouse has to be replaced (it that cable is not working , how come i can enter my password while loging in )
Price quoted was between 300-350 USD

What is your take on this? should i really go for it ?

reyesarg

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2021
Update: i was at apple store in my city. They ran diagnose. Things they told me shocked me.
There diagnose says:
- Battery is defect ( although battery have 500 cycles and give like 3 and half hours of netflix. normal work: 4 and half hours)
- IPD flex cable between keyboad, mouse has to be replaced (it that cable is not working , how come i can enter my password while loging in )
Price quoted was between 300-350 USD

What is your take on this? should i really go for it ?
Hi, a customer of mine had the same issue. It turned out it was just the flex cable that connected the keyboard to the logic board. It was a $10 part plus $20 in labor. Looked like the connector was a bit dirt as well. Maybe cleaning you connector will help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.