Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GNXT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2021
Hi people,
a few days back I bought the Belkin Thunderbolt Dock Core which includes a PD port, I connected it with my stock 30w MacBook Air adapter, but it doesn't charge, in system prefs under adapter options it lists as no adapter is connected. I don't know if it's an issue of the product or if I need to buy a 60w adapter.
I would appreciate your help, thanks.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Sounds like a faulty Belkin dock to me. The wattage of your MBA charging adapter should be irrelevant. I'm assuming you've tried unplugging and replugging both connections (adapter to dock and dock to MBA)?

wytwolf

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2012
Belkins website has a Q&A and you are not alone. 3-4 other people have had the same issue. One person mention using a 60w USB C adaptor fixed the charging issue.

Last edited:

GNXT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2021
Sounds like a faulty Belkin dock to me. The wattage of your MBA charging adapter should be irrelevant. I'm assuming you've tried unplugging and replugging both connections (adapter to dock and dock to MBA)?
Yes I've tried everything, with no luck yet.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
It’s possible that the Belkin dock requires close to 30 W of power itself. That would leave none for the pass through PD connection. My Caldigit SOHO has a document specifically calling out how much power is remaining for each typical charger wattage.

https://www.caldigit.com/usb-c-soho-dock-laptop-charging-capability/

Reactions: VaruLV

GNXT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2021
Belkins website has a Q&A and you are not alone. 3-4 other people have had the same issue. One person mention using a 60w USB C adaptor fixed the charging issue.

Great, I was looking for some info but couldn't find any user suggestion or such. Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

GNXT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2021
It’s possible that the Belgian dock requires close to 30 W of power itself. That would leave none for the pass through PD connection. My Caldigit SOHO has a document specifically calling out how much power is remaining for each typical charger wattage.
Thanks, yes I'm reaching to this conclusion as well, I was hesitant at the beginning because without anything connected it wasn't working as well, but probably the hub requires some power to run. Belkin should be more clear and give better instructions for their products. So probably I will go for a 61w Charger, it seems.

iterva

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Sweden
Yes I've tried everything, with no luck yet.
My guess is a bigger power supply should fix it. Even though Belkin only says that 60W is recommended and not required. But i´m guessing it has to do with how many peripherals are connected and many watts the dock itself needs. So try a bigger power supply is my recommendation.

Namnlös.jpg

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
It’s possible that the Belkin dock requires close to 30 W of power itself. That would leave none for the pass through PD connection. My Caldigit SOHO has a document specifically calling out how much power is remaining for each typical charger wattage.

https://www.caldigit.com/usb-c-soho-dock-laptop-charging-capability/

Oh, ok, so the dock itself is using power from your MacBook's power adapter, not the Thunderbolt port on the Mac? That would make sense then. I was thinking the power was just passing straight through to the MacBook from the AC adapter.

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
I have two of these docks. They do not accept the 30 watt adapter that comes with the M1 Air. I use a Hyper GaN 65 watt at home, and some old Lenovo 65(?) watt adapter att work.

Of course the Core dock works as intended just powered off of the Air itself.

I understand why Belkin did this, 30 watts is not a lot to charge and power the laptop, and power a dock with any peripherals attached. But they could be more clear on it.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Most hubs and docks reserve 10-15W of power for itself.

So a 30W adapter means the MacBook Air only gets 15W which isn't enough to charge.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Most hubs and docks reserve 10-15W of power for itself.

So a 30W adapter means the MacBook Air only gets 15W which isn't enough to charge.
15W is enough to charge. My Caldigit SOHO frequently goes under that and still charges—slowly. I suspect that the Belkin takes more than 20 W.

Reactions: souko

GNXT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2021
Well thanks everybody, for the responses, the issue was indeed the 30w adapter. I just bought an Apple 61w and is working now.

Reactions: jdb8167

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
just got my air last week, are the bricking issues with pass through fixed

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
just got my air last week, are the bricking issues with pass through fixed
They seem to be. Once the version of Big Sur that fixed the bug (11.3?) the reports of problems mostly disappeared. The few remaining complaints can probably be relegated to general manufacturing issues and not a widespread defect.

Reactions: jterp7
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.