Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jhonyboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2023
hello everyone thats my first time here so i actually going to try and open a dissection for me
i just bought my new macbook air m1 2020 with 8gb and i have one question that i would like to ask does the 8gb is enough for like surrfing the web watching checking emails and all the basic stuff?
like i am no student i bought my macbook beacuse i didn't have any laptop for years..

thank you for your help!

Jhonyboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2023
I've been using my base model M1 Air for the last several years as a teacher in my classroom and it handles everything I throw at it. Two browsers, MS Office, programming, it handles it all at once without breaking a sweat.
oh really? could you tell for how many years this macbook should be fine?
i mean when do i need to start to think of getting a new one?;)

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
hello everyone thats my first time here so i actually going to try and open a dissection for me
i just bought my new macbook air m1 2020 with 8gb and i have one question that i would like to ask does the 8gb is enough for like surrfing the web watching checking emails and all the basic stuff?
like i am no student i bought my macbook beacuse i didn't have any laptop for years..

thank you for your help!
Yep. It's fine. I have exactly this machine and it's fine for that and more. I do a fair bit of design work on it and it rarely misses a beat.

When it gets time to replace it you'll know because it will start lagging doing the stuff you try to make it do.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
oh really? could you tell for how many years this macbook should be fine?
i mean when do i need to start to think of getting a new one?;)
That entirely depends on your specific use and how they may change over time I'm afraid. For me, I've bad this laptop for going on three years now and plan on using it until it no longer does what I need of it. For me, hopefully another 3-4 years before it starts feeling constraining at all. For now though, it's been an amazing machine, a fantastic performer, and it does everything I could want without complaint or slowdowns.

Jhonyboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2023
oh wow! Thanks

so I took a good diseccion for buying this model as well for a simple use :)

you help me a lot with your opinion I wish you a great day mate!

Reactions: mr_jomo

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
Yes, don't listen to all these folks on here saying 16GB is the minimum.

I had a 2016 Intel Macbook Pro with 8GB. Did my all my university work on it which was a lot of big MS Word docs with integrated Excel graphs, did video editing in Final Cut, various statistics programs. Never an issue. 16GB would've loaded things faster, but I never felt 8gb was frustratingly slow and very rarely got spinning beachballs.

With M1 and just broswing/emails you'll have absolutely no problems.

Reactions: Gudi

TurboJobo

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2009
San Diego/Tijuana
I used to have a 2019 16'' inch macbook with 32gb of ram and dedicated GPU and got the M1 and made the pro look slow, everything on the m1 was better, and faster. My gaming emulation ran better and did not heat up. You should be able to use the m1 3-4 years more without any problems

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.