Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

szkftn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2022
I’m torn choosing between MBA M2 8gb RAM 512gb SSD or the MBA M1 16gb RAM 512 gb. They are similarly priced in my country. I’m actually leaning to M2 8/512 because I really like the design and overall. But I’m afraid I’ll regret choosing design over a higher RAM.

For information I’ll only use it for basic college work (MsOffice), browsing, and light gaming like the sims 4 with few expansion packs (I may play for 2-3 hrs).

Another concern is longevity, will the M1 with higher RAM be better in the long run (5+years) or will the M2?

I saw similar post asking this question but the poster doesnt really care about the design while I do like the M2 design.

Your help will be much appreciated! TIA

Mark Anderson

Suspended
Aug 24, 2022
Minneapolis
If the design is not your only preference, you should go for M1 16/512. M1 being almost 2 years old, it is still an amazing chip and if you don't do heavier tasks in the future, it will handily last many years to come.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I have an Apple refurb M1 16/512 MBA and just love it. The price was $1229 and I plan on keeping it for at least 5 years. I knew I needed 16/512 and there was no way I was going to pay so much more for the M2.

Reactions: Wilson2

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
I’m torn choosing between MBA M2 8gb RAM 512gb SSD or the MBA M1 16gb RAM 512 gb. They are similarly priced in my country. I’m actually leaning to M2 8/512 because I really like the design and overall. But I’m afraid I’ll regret choosing design over a higher RAM.

For information I’ll only use it for basic college work (MsOffice), browsing, and light gaming like the sims 4 with few expansion packs (I may play for 2-3 hrs).

Another concern is longevity, will the M1 with higher RAM be better in the long run (5+years) or will the M2?

I saw similar post asking this question but the poster doesnt really care about the design while I do like the M2 design.

Your help will be much appreciated! TIA

I don't know how well the M1 handles The Sims 4, but if it's acceptable, I'd go for the 16GB RAM.

Reactions: turk101

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I would get the M2 with 16gb ram and 256gb ssd unless you are transferring a lot of files. Otherwise if you have 16gb ram you will mostly avoid swapping and you can always use cloud storage or a cheap external ssd. For what you are doing it doesn't seem you need a huge ssd?

Also if you would rather get either the M1 or M2 with the above stated specs only then I would get the M2. I suspect you don't buy a computer every year and the new design is not just the M series chip. The re-design first of all looks a lot better IMHO, it has a brighter more color accurate screen, it has MagSafe allowing you to charge and use both thunderbolt ports at the same time, Has a better keyboard and better speakers without grills you can get dirty.

You don't have chunky bezels and a design from 2015. Another thing to consider is what is more important a faster processor or more ram? If you get the 8gb/512gb model if you do swap memory you have a drive fast enough you won't notice. The GPU is about 30% better than M1 and cpu is about 15% better and single core is higher and multi core is higher.

If you plan to keep at least three years then your laptop will still look new compared to the M1 MBA.

The M1 MBA is a great machine but if the ram is the only consideration between the two I would definitely take the ram hit and get the M2. I have had a lot of devices over the years and unless you are really pushing the machine with multi tasking there is not a huge difference between 8gb ram and 16gb ram but there is a big difference between processors.

szkftn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2022
I would get the M2 with 16gb ram and 256gb ssd unless you are transferring a lot of files. Otherwise if you have 16gb ram you will mostly avoid swapping and you can always use cloud storage or a cheap external ssd. For what you are doing it doesn't seem you need a huge ssd?

Also if you would rather get either the M1 or M2 with the above stated specs only then I would get the M2. I suspect you don't buy a computer every year and the new design is not just the M series chip. The re-design first of all looks a lot better IMHO, it has a brighter more color accurate screen, it has MagSafe allowing you to charge and use both thunderbolt ports at the same time, Has a better keyboard and better speakers without grills you can get dirty.

You don't have chunky bezels and a design from 2015. Another thing to consider is what is more important a faster processor or more ram? If you get the 8gb/512gb model if you do swap memory you have a drive fast enough you won't notice. The GPU is about 30% better than M1 and cpu is about 15% better and single core is higher and multi core is higher.

If you plan to keep at least three years then your laptop will still look new compared to the M1 MBA.

The M1 MBA is a great machine but if the ram is the only consideration between the two I would definitely take the ram hit and get the M2. I have had a lot of devices over the years and unless you are really pushing the machine with multi tasking there is not a huge difference between 8gb ram and 16gb ram but there is a big difference between processors.
Hi thanks for your thoughts! The reason I choose 512 ssd upgrade over 16gb ram in M2 is because I store lots of college e-books and assignments as they’re easier to access over saving it to the cloud (need internet). My last macbook air has 256gb and on later years I struggle with insufficient storage. I did buy external hard drive but to be honest I hate having to bring extra things when the main purpose of having a MBA is to travel lightly.

You are correct I dont buy computer every year, in fact my last macbook air is 2011 MBA (ancient, I know lol) and I kept postponing buying the new one is actually because I got hooked on M2 design.

As for why I dont get the 16/512 M2 is because honestly I feel bad asking my parents more money for “two upgrades” thats why I limit myself to only one

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
M1 16GB. The 8GB RAM will become a limitation before the M1 chip does.
But I don't know about gaming. Mostly I gave up gaming when my facial hair started to sprout, but I know it's an important factor for many, and it's not for me to dis what they do in their free time.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Hi thanks for your thoughts! The reason I choose 512 ssd upgrade over 16gb ram in M2 is because I store lots of college e-books and assignments as they’re easier to access over saving it to the cloud (need internet). My last macbook air has 256gb and on later years I struggle with insufficient storage. I did buy external hard drive but to be honest I hate having to bring extra things when the main purpose of having a MBA is to travel lightly.

You are correct I dont buy computer every year, in fact my last macbook air is 2011 MBA (ancient, I know lol) and I kept postponing buying the new one is actually because I got hooked on M2 design.

As for why I dont get the 16/512 M2 is because honestly I feel bad asking my parents more money for “two upgrades” thats why I limit myself to only one
You sound like a good kid!

As a parent I think it would be wise to tell them what you were thinking and how you came to your decision and your hesitation asking for two upgrades.

I would be proud of my child being so considerate.

Another point to mention is the 8gb of ram in the M2 will be ddr5 and not ddr4 in the older air model which may help a little with having less ram as will the faster ssd.

Either one you get will be a good choice so if you end up with M1 it is still a good choice.

Reactions: VaruLV
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.