Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peter McMillan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2023
I plan to purchase an Apple MacBook Air M2, and I would LIKE for it to have thermal throttling for reasons that I do not want to get into.
I have seen that thermal throttling is a common feature on the M2 Airs, and that's fine with me.

However I wish to purchase a somewhat usable computer too, and I feel like 8GB of RAM and 256GB of storage will not be enough.

My questions is - does the throttling problem persist on higher spec'd M2 Airs?
Say a 512GB storage, 16GB RAM, 10-core GPU, will it have the same throttling "performance" as a basic 256GB storage, 8GB RAM, 8-core GPU?

Also, I imagine there shouldn't be problems with using external monitors, in particular a 2560x1440 and 3840x1600 (not at the same time) should work well, right? It's an "Air" so I'm not sure if it's powerful enough (I guess by today's standards that should be fine).

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: m2m4

Peter McMillan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2023
My question is more related to thermal throttling - do all models exhibit the same behaviour, or is one more prone to overheating/throttling than the other? Variables being #GPU cores, RAM and storage.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
My question is more related to thermal throttling - do all models exhibit the same behaviour, or is one more prone to overheating/throttling than the other? Variables being #GPU cores, RAM and storage.

Thermal throttling behaviour is determined by the chassis and the chip power consumption. It's the same chassis and the same chip, so there won't be any difference between the models aside the usual silicon lottery.

Reactions: Tagbert

windowsblowsass

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
pa
only reasons I can think someone likes throttling is they like it being quiet and don't like it getting hot. MBAs are passively cooled so they are always quiet and they are pretty hard to get hot

neo_cs193p

macrumors regular
May 17, 2016
The 10-core GPU is likely to throttle earlier than the 8-core GPU, because it draws more power. Otherwise I would say RAM and SSD are not a factor in throttling/overheating (although they are factors in performance).

Also, getting the darker Midnight color and using it in direct sunlight will help with overheating. And make sure you stay away from Low Power Mode.

Last edited:

Scarrus

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
The 10-core GPU is likely to throttle earlier than the 8-core GPU, because it draws more power. Otherwise I would say RAM and SSD are not a factor in throttling/overheating (although they are factors in performance).

Also, getting the darker Midnight color and using it in direct sunlight will help with overheating. And make sure you stay away from Low Power Mode.
What's wrong with Low Power Mode?

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I plan to purchase an Apple MacBook Air M2, and I would LIKE for it to have thermal throttling for reasons that I do not want to get into.
I have seen that thermal throttling is a common feature on the M2 Airs, and that's fine with me.

However I wish to purchase a somewhat usable computer too, and I feel like 8GB of RAM and 256GB of storage will not be enough.

My questions is - does the throttling problem persist on higher spec'd M2 Airs?
Say a 512GB storage, 16GB RAM, 10-core GPU, will it have the same throttling "performance" as a basic 256GB storage, 8GB RAM, 8-core GPU?

Also, I imagine there shouldn't be problems with using external monitors, in particular a 2560x1440 and 3840x1600 (not at the same time) should work well, right? It's an "Air" so I'm not sure if it's powerful enough (I guess by today's standards that should be fine).

The thermal throttling literally isn't a thing unless you're running nothing but benchmark software that tries to cause it (and all chips throttle, it's a safety mechanism to keep it from overheating.

The M2 air is far more powerful than people (including some more famous YouTube channels) would have you believe because they don't actually know how to measure technology speeds and rely on silly benchmarks.

I have an M2 air (10 core GPU, 16 gigs ram, 1 TB drive) and some things I run on it just fine without throttling (and without barely getting warm) are:

-Houdini
-Final Cut (4k video)
-Logic (20 tracks with zero hiccups, I haven't gone higher because I got bored adding tracks to make it hiccup)
-Motion
-Blender
-Unity
-Godot
-Xcode
-Affinity Suite
-Various video games, mostly Final Fantasy 14

External monitors work fine (although support is limited to one external) and the machine is significantly more powerful than many windows laptops with intel chips. Apple M series chips are no joke.

If you want a good review on this machine, watch Mobile Tech Review 's review on it. She's actually accurate for real world usage. Oddly iJustine is too when she's using Final Cut to edit video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.