Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dumiku

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2017
Accra (Ghana)
Hi, I have a Macbook whose battery failed so I decided to temporarily use without the battery running Linux for a couples a days, two days there was power surge in my area while I was using it.

Yesterday while the MacBooks was playing music sitting there alone it suddenly shut down, At first I thought it was the Macbook that had died but then later find out that the charger got spoiled.

Since I had another MagSafe 2 charger but with broken connector I swapped the connector. Now the issue I should that when I plug in the charger the current or the light on charger does not turn orange hasn't there no battery or even power on.

At first it managed to turn on but thébaïde keyboard was not working so I open the MacBook and notice that the trackpad cable was not connected properly and after connecting it properly and then connect the charger nothing work and as soon as I remove the connector the MacBook receive the current or something like that from the charger and I am able'to turn it on but the keyboard also still does work.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I suspect either the charger (transformer part) is completely broken (not just connector), the MacBook Air itself is killed, or both. Hope you have your data backed up, as you may need to visit Apple store for diagnosis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.