Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

_nowhere_

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2018
My wife spilled some water on her MacBook Air (early-2015) a few weeks ago. This killed the battery, but after letting it dry out I found the machine still powers up. However, it gets stuck during boot on the black screen with the Apple logo and progress bar. The progress bar eventually reaches the end, but remains stuck at this point, even after 24 hours.

I was able to boot from a Ubuntu usb and have installed Ubuntu, which boots very quickly and with no problem. However, if I try to boot from a macOS USB, I have the same problem and get stuck with the progress bar. I've also borrowed a friends MacBook Air SSD and put it in the water damaged Air, but still had the same problem - stuck on the progress bar.

Except for the battery, the machine seems to be working well with Ubuntu but not with macOS - any ideas why this is the case and what I can do about it?

Thanks in advance.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Maybe the OS is trying to load hardware drivers and cannot find the hardware or the hardware is damaged?

Inspected the board for signs of corrosion, blown capacitors or blown resistors?

I suggest taking it to an Apple repair shop that can perform board level repairs for diagnosis. Hopefully, a simple solution like removing and cleaning the board is all that's needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.