Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhumbertgz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2019
I'm trying to reinstall this MacBook Air (third generation), but I got the following screen. After 20 or 30 secs it shutdowns.

I'm also having issues to launch the recovery menu. I have to reset the SMC and PRAM several times before I can get the menu again.

Any suggestion will be really appreciated

Thanks in advance
Humberto

rhumbertgz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2019
@Audit13 If the laptop starts normally I get a black screen with ? icon in a folder, but not the blocky-blinky screen of the video

Thanks for your time

Last edited:

rhumbertgz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2019
Try reinstalling the os using a usb installer of Internet recovery isn't an option.

It sounds like the display is getting messed but because of a driver issue.

I tried already with two different USBs and I always end like my video :(

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
When in the install do you see that screen?
When you initially boot to the installer?
Or, when your MBAir reboots to complete the install?

But - that screen usually means that there's a problem with the graphics chip - or could be a problem with the RAM.
Either way - that will mean a failure on the logic board.
Could also be just a failure of the SSD, but many MBAirs also don't have replaceable SSD (soldered to the logic board)
The "Shutdown after a few seconds" and that flashing folder can indicate that your SSD has failed (won't pass through the boot process, tries and fails 3 times, shuts down), and again, either a permanent failure on the logic board (or the possibility of swapping out SSD if it is not soldered to logic board)

rhumbertgz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2019
When in the install do you see that screen?
When you initially boot to the installer?
Or, when your MBAir reboots to complete the install?

When the laptop starts the recovery menu the screen works fine, I can select the USB or the internet recovery (doesn't work)

After I select to boot from the USB installer is when I get the screen of my video and then it shutdown

I think the disk is soldered :(

Thanks for your time

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.