Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ghost-Hardware

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2021
Hi everyone,

So lately, I've been experiencing an issue with my MacBook Air 2020. It's an Intel i5 model with 8 gigs of RAM and I'm currently running macOS Big Sur 11.3.1.

I am used to charge it all night. Since something like 2 or 3 months I guess, when I unplug it, I can hear the starting sound of the Mac. Then, when I open the lid, I can see that it is booting just as if it would have been shut down all night. Which is weird, because I basically never shut my Macbooks down.

I remember that it once had a kernel panic when booting in the morning. The report said that something went wrong when the Mac tried to create a file to enter in hibernate mode or something (I'm sorry, I don't have the screenshot anymore). Then, I looked for an answer on some online forums : I read that resetting the SMC could help. So I did and indeed, the problem disappeared for a few days but this morning, you guessed it, it came back ...

When I look at the battery status, it just says the battery is OK with 247 charge cycles. So it isn't even 1 year old, basically.

Here are my battery settings :
  • Power nap is on
  • Optimized Battery Charging is on
What are your thoughts about this? Has anyone ever had this problem before here?

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.