Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

watcher00090

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2023
Hi,

My MacBook Air is slow to shut down.

What happens is when I try to power it off, I get a loading icon, which stays there for about 10 minutes, and then the computer finally shuts down 10 minutes later:

Screenshot (384497).png

I closed all applications before trying to shut it down.

Any ideas as to how I could go about troubleshooting this?

Thank you,
James Pedersen

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Which MacBook Air - and, which macOS system version?

One thing you can try is to boot to Safe Boot mode: From a shutdown (so completely off) boot your Mac holding the Shift key. You will get a login screen, even if you normally do not see a login during boot. Safe Boot mode will prevent some startup apps, and will boot to basic video, and a few other things happen. There is a more involved drive test, and sometimes an improvement in the system operation will be a result. You can play around in that mode, if you like. But, keep in mind that some apps will not work properly. Safe Boot mode is really just for troubleshooting certain kinds of issues, so look around a little, then reboot, which will take you out of that safe boot mode. Then, try a shutdown, just to see if that works better this time.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
That looks like a fairly old model based on those large bezels. I assume there's an app thats hanging while its trying to shut down

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.