Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crashwarez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2014
Brazil
Hi,

My MBA 13´(early, 2014) 8GB 128ssd turns off if i close the lid or put to sleep.

I already try:

Clean install of OS X (try 3 different versions)
Reset SMC
Internal cleaning of components
Switch the power suply (the problem happens with ou without the mba on the energy)

And the problem still continues.

PS: The problem only happens if i close the lid or put to sleep. If I use it, nothing happens.

DijahP

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012
I hope you get a response, crashwarez. I have a barely one day old brand new out of the box MacBook Air (early 2015) that just did the same thing. I was actually working on it and fell asleep only to wake up a few hours later to find it completely turned off. I kept pressing the track pad wondering why it wasn't coming back on and finally gave up and pressed the power button. When it came back on, I expected to see a "your computer shut down because of a problem" message but I didn't. There was also no indication that it had installed auto updates and restarted itself or anything. I lost all of my browser tabs but luckily nothing important. Very creepy for a brand new laptop.

shplock

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2015
Somewhere in a Galaxy far far away
Hi,

My MBA 13´(early, 2014) 8GB 128ssd turns off if i close the lid or put to sleep.

I already try:

Clean install of OS X (try 3 different versions)
Reset SMC
Internal cleaning of components
Switch the power suply (the problem happens with ou without the mba on the energy)

And the problem still continues.

PS: The problem only happens if i close the lid or put to sleep. If I use it, nothing happens.

Have you tried looking in energy settings.
load settings
click energy saver
click power adapter tab
make sure the option "prevent computer from sleeping automatically when display is off"is on
make sure you set the option to put the display to sleep is set at more than 1 hour. I have mine at 3.
make sure you turn off the option to put the hard disk to sleep(unless you really need it on).

then shut your computer down, turn it back on and see if that helps.

crashwarez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2014
Brazil
I hope you get a response, crashwarez. I have a barely one day old brand new out of the box MacBook Air (early 2015) that just did the same thing. I was actually working on it and fell asleep only to wake up a few hours later to find it completely turned off. I kept pressing the track pad wondering why it wasn't coming back on and finally gave up and pressed the power button. When it came back on, I expected to see a "your computer shut down because of a problem" message but I didn't. There was also no indication that it had installed auto updates and restarted itself or anything. I lost all of my browser tabs but luckily nothing important. Very creepy for a brand new laptop.

When this occurred, were there any open applications? I realized that leaving an application open(like transmission), the problem does not happen. However, it has happened that I left the Safari open and the problem occurred. I Wil do more tests with another apps to see what happens
[doublepost=1488379815][/doublepost]
Have you tried looking in energy settings.
load settings
click energy saver
click power adapter tab
make sure the option "prevent computer from sleeping automatically when display is off"is on
make sure you set the option to put the display to sleep is set at more than 1 hour. I have mine at 3.
make sure you turn off the option to put the hard disk to sleep(unless you really need it on).

then shut your computer down, turn it back on and see if that helps.

But by doing so, the computer will never sleeps, and the problem only occurs in the sleep mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.