Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

studentfromNL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2020
Hi everyone, I am currently looking for a new laptop for college and am planning to buy a MacBook. Because both my budget and needs aren’t too big, the pick was for the 2020 MacBook Air i5 with 256GB. I am planning to use my MacBook mainly for college (finance major) so school-related tasks won’t be too intensive. But my hobby/creative outlet however can be.

I produce music on the side using FL studio now with mostly lighter VST’s like Nexus, Sylenth and Massive with some light mixing/mastering on top. I’m currently on a very low-end i3 Dell laptop with 4GB RAM from 2016. Usually not more than 6-10 VST instances at once and I barely hit any limits with my current one other than overall slowness that destroys my creative flow. Any MacBook would outclass in performance by far so performance is currently of no issue as I’m going to switch to Logic Pro. But I am planning to use heavier plugins like Ozone, Spire and Kontakt in the future. My main concern is if the MacBook Air can handle that without hitting limits all the time. And if I instead really really need to spend the extra dollars to have the base MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.