Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hayari

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2016
Hello Community,

Im going to buy the macbook air 2016 edition with 8gb's of ram and the i7 processor.I decided to buy it because my university recommended it.So my real question here is now,are you playing World of Warcraft on your Macbook air and if yes how is the performance does it go to hot or is it even unplayable ? Can i raid without lags or without the danger that the cpu overheat? it would be really nice if you could share me your experiences.

By the way sorry for my bad english . :)

dollystereo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2004
France
He asked specifically if he could RAID, and the answer is no. I can not Raid correctly with my 2012 macbook pro with dedicated graphics. Only the top of the line Macbook Pro can run WOW in a raid environment with graphics set to medium with a good performance to push realm firsts, etc...
The last graphic overhaul to WOW, really killed the performance in OSX.

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
Could you not just take the graphics down to raid? I can't bring myself to game n a Mac. I had the 2014 Pro and never installed it. Windows blows for everything but gaming.

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Hello Community,

Im going to buy the macbook air 2016 edition with 8gb's of ram and the i7 processor.I decided to buy it because my university recommended it.So my real question here is now,are you playing World of Warcraft on your Macbook air and if yes how is the performance does it go to hot or is it even unplayable ? Can i raid without lags or without the danger that the cpu overheat? it would be really nice if you could share me your experiences.

No, WoW is an extreme waste of time even worse than the years I spent with my ex.

You'd be better off actually doing your university work on your macbook air,
and not deal with WoW until you have a dozen hours a week to burn when you are working.

Sure, an i7 MBA with 8GB ram can handle WoW, but don't ruin your studying for a game.

dollystereo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2004
France
No, WoW is an extreme waste of time even worse than the years I spent with my ex.

You'd be better off actually doing your university work on your macbook air,
and not deal with WoW until you have a dozen hours a week to burn when you are working.

Sure, an i7 MBA with 8GB ram can handle WoW, but don't ruin your studying for a game.
and this guy is right.

Groovemaster17

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2012
and this guy is right.

First off, don't tell people what to do. If he wants to play WoW, that's his business. He's not asking for life advice, just wants to know if WoW runs on a MacBook Air, which it can.

Don't expect amazing performance, but with the graphics/resolution turned down a bit, you'll be fine. And it will get hot and you will hear the fan kick in but that's normal. Good luck and enjoy the air. Great machine!

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
Kill 20 of these and come back to me cause I can't be bothered. Pick up 10 of these and come back cause I can't be bothered. Repeat to level 100?

My comment still stands. I have a Windows laptop now to cook rather than an expensive mac. ☺️

pwhitehead

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
new jersey
Hello Community,

I play wow on a 2010 macbook pro, you'll be fine. Just play at the lowest graphic settings. You should have no problems..

asoksevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
London, UK
Hello Community,

I can play on my 2010 MBA though haven't tested it on crowded places.

Tikatika

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2012
Northern California
I have the latest MAcBook Air with i5 and 8gb ram. I don't raid but run WoW on medium settings with shadows off. Runs as smooth as silk at 95fps. And it doesn't get hot. i suspect if you lower your settings all around, you can raid.

Brandon0448

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
Yes you can raid on a MBA but it is definitely not ideal. The game runs great outside of raids and battleground but inside them you will definitely need to drop down the resolution and graphics settings to get a playable frame rate.

But keep in mind that no matter where you are in the game, your MBA is going to get hot and fans will get loud. On MBAs the cpu is right next to the WASD keys and they get pretty hot after playing for a while and that is kind of annoying because it's right where your hand is.

You pretty much cannot overheat these computers as long as you don't block the exhaust fan on the CPU cooler. Once it starts blowing you can feel where it is and just make sure to give that area good ventilation (it is in different location on different MacBooks). You learn to play with the left side of the computer hanging off your lap (if you're on a MBA) as to not block the vent or just play on a hard surface (a table or laptop tray).

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
I run it on a 2015 MBA, 11" 4gb i5.
It runs ok. In some ways, it runs it a little better than my 2011 MBP with the dedicated card. Metal may improve performance a bit also.

Raiding without lags is hard to tell. Some encounters just lag out even on good hardware.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
First off, don't tell people what to do. If he wants to play WoW, that's his business. He's not asking for life advice, just wants to know if WoW runs on a MacBook Air, which it can.

Don't expect amazing performance, but with the graphics/resolution turned down a bit, you'll be fine. And it will get hot and you will hear the fan kick in but that's normal. Good luck and enjoy the air. Great machine!
My son has a Windows gaming laptop and that gets hot, too. They all do, when the GPUs are pushed. He used a lap desk with fans. Works and help maintain fertility.

dollystereo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2004
France
Are you raiding in 10 man or 20?
I find really incredible that people recommend the air for raiding. I couldn't raid in the 25 man with a i7 MBP with dedicated graphics. Forced to 10-man.

strukt

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2012
Norway
None of you here actually know how wow is going to run on that MacBook Air, because Legion will be able to use Metal instead of OpenGL. This may make it possible for Legion to run okay-ish (lowest settings) on an air.

But with that said, if you want to play wow you should get a Mac with a dedicated GPU (or build a windows PC). If you can, wait until fall this year. Updates are coming.

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
I'm in the beta for Legion

It's a little better with Legion. Not a lot, but a little bit. I haven't raided since I don't have a character in the beta high enough level.

I *think* Today's pre-patch puts Metal live (insert horns here), so we'll get some better data.

The MacBooks with dedicated GPUs are *really* expensive. I ended up just buying an Alienware Alpha as a gaming system. It was like $500 bucks and does the job. I just run WoW on my Macbook for when I'm oot and aboot.

sundragon

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2011
Washington, DC
You can try bootcamping a windows partition. I've found that (GENERALLY) games perform better on Windows 10 because they are not ported to the platform like many MacOS games and the drivers on Windows are a bit more mature. It's a lot cheaper than purchasing a seperate Windows computer to game on. As for RAIDING, I would look it up on YouTube. I played Skyrim on my 2012 MBA with no problems, so a 2016 i7 should be sufficient but I would check online.

FWIW, the 2016 MBPr 13 provides considerably more horsepower and nicer screen for a 1/2 a pound difference in weight. I sold my 2012 MBA last year for a 2015 MBPr and I barely notice the weight difference.

Last edited:

CrystalQuest76

Suspended
Dec 14, 2015
West Cost A Lot
Do something productive with your with your extra time like getting and holding down a job. That way you will not owe as much money in student loans and be paying those nasty greedy wall street banker types.
Saving money is not a crime.

Last edited:
Reactions: kiwipeso1

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
So, metal is very interesting.

I have two Macs: a 15" 2011 MacBook Pro. Quad-core i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb discrete video card (not much I know) and a 2015 MacBook Air 11" with 4gb of ram. Both on latest developer beta of Sierra.

The Air can run metal and the Pro cannot.

The Air is kicking the snot out of the Pro. I'm averaging 60 FPS on the Pro and almost 100 FPS on the Air. They are running identical graphics settings (graphics setting 3) and the two avatars are standing next to each other.

Prior to metal, they'd be within a couple of FPS of each other. Close enough to be a rounding error.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.