Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goldenleaf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
20210901_164323.jpeg

For context all screws have been removed in my attempt to understand why my mac is wobbling on the right bottom corner, and I find that the top right part of the bottom case (as shown) protrudes outwards whereas all the other parts are fine. What does this mean?

I have tried the bending tip from someone in this forum to fix the wobble but the issue persists after a small time period. I don't think this involves the battery.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
How old is your MBAir?
Is it still in warranty?
Have you called Applecare support about your issue?

The "creaking" is probably because the bottom cover is not seating properly.
In other words, the creak sound is for the same reason that you feel it wobble.
Maybe Apple will offer to replace the bottom cover. That may or may not fix your issue, but it's a good place to start.

goldenleaf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
My macbook is around 9 months old and still under warranty. I contacted Applecare support and they have said that I can take it for inspection. Do apple authorised providers set fees for repairs?

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
Just push it in. There are spring clips in addition to screws.

Push the corner in until it clicks into place

goldenleaf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
Just push it in. There are spring clips in addition to screws.

Push the corner in until it clicks into place
This is my first time hearing about this. Where are these located, exactly? I do remember pushing onto it hard and nothing really happened.

goldenleaf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
When taking the photo I also removed the bottom case and put it on my straight table. To my surprise, there was no wobble! Its really confusing what the issue is here.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The "curve" where the bottom cover fits is not very clean. I would definitely try to clear out that area. A spudger would be ideal for that. Might help, won't hurt - and should help the bottom cover seat properly.

goldenleaf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
The "curve" where the bottom cover fits is not very clean. I would definitely try to clear out that area. A spudger would be ideal for that. Might help, won't hurt - and should help the bottom cover seat properly.
That doesn't fix anything unfortunately. I pressed down on the bottom right of the bottom piece to shape, weirdly enough the wobble is far less pronounced.

Last edited:

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
That doesn't fix anything unfortunately. I pressed down on the bottom right of the bottom piece to shape, weirdly enough the wobble is far less pronounced.
Maybe something got bent during assembly. I would take it to Apple and let them fix it. And mention the wobble and have them fix that also.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I still don't think any pentalobe screw is normal :D ... But, that one looks like any others, with a bit of locking compound on the threads, looks completely ordinary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.