Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
My 2017 Macbook died. I think. The screen glitched and then it went dark. No pulse.

I've run into vid card and PSU issues on my Mac Pro and PC so I'm thinking it's probably one of those.

I've never tried to replace parts on a laptop, and frankly, I would almost rather buy a new laptop.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
I thought my 2016 Mabook had died once. No signs of life at all. Applecare said do an SMC reset and to my surprise it worked.

Will it boot to Recovery, or Internet Recovery, or Apple Diagnostics?

The first two would enable First Aid and install. The last would find hardware faults.

Reactions: kirkbross

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
I thought my 2016 Mabook had died once. No signs of life at all. Applecare said do an SMC reset and to my surprise it worked.

Will it boot to Recovery, or Internet Recovery, or Apple Diagnostics?

The first two would enable First Aid and install. The last would find hardware faults.
There is no activity when I hit or hold the power button. Totally dead / silent / lifeless. Not even the ticks of a drive spinning up.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Well you won't hear a spinning drive as there isn't one :D (sorry it you meant it as a joke)

My 2016 was like that but I went through the SMC reset procedure and was amazed when it booted up.

You might not be so lucky. I didn't notice a screen glitch before it died.

Screenshot 2020-07-11 at 08.54.08.png

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
Well you won't hear a spinning drive as there isn't one :D (sorry it you meant it as a joke)

My 2016 was like that but I went through the SMC reset procedure and was amazed when it booted up.

You might not be so lucky. I didn't notice a screen glitch before it died.

View attachment 932805
Lol, I didn't mean that as a joke. I couldn't remember when I bought it and if it had a 2.5" 5400 rpg platter drive or SSD. :)

Anyway, the SMC reset didn't work so I'm wondering if:

1. it's worth the time and money to pursue part replacement (ssd, viddy, mobo)
  2. if not #1 can the data on the SSD can be retrieved?

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Lol, I didn't mean that as a joke. I couldn't remember when I bought it and if it had a 2.5" 5400 rpg platter drive or SSD. :)

Anyway, the SMC reset didn't work so I'm wondering if:

1. it's worth the time and money to pursue part replacement (ssd, viddy, mobo)
  2. if not #1 can the data on the SSD can be retrieved?
Afraid I can't give informed answers about those.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Flash storage - video chip - RAM ? Not much you can do there, except to replace the logic board.
(Unless you have skills and equipment for board-level repairs?)
All those bits are soldered to the board.
If you want to pursue retrieving data from the SSD, you will need to talk to a "genius" at an Apple store, where they should have the special gear that they use for transferring data from "dead" logic boards.

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
Not worth fixing if SMC reset doesnt work, better to just sell for parts. It's probably the CPU solder failing. It is possible to get a bit of life out of it for data recovery etc by reflowing the CPU, but not a reliable long term fix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.