Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macforfun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2017
Hi all. Just decided to buy a Mac since I have an idea which requires a Mac to implement. It's glad to find this forum, and here I shamelessly ask for a few answers regarding my new Mac.

1. Is there a good MacBook 12'' DP dongle? I'm looking for DP 2560*1600. My monitor doesn't support HDMI hence a DP is needed.

I came across a few options, such as Dell WD15, Dell D6000 or Ricov USB-C to HDMI and DP and VGA hub.
While I appreciate the D6000 for its capability of outputting to 3 displays at much higher resolution, I am a bit doubtful against DisplayLink technology since they still have some bugs, and I don't know if the technology works well with OpenGL and Windows VM (in VBox or Parallels). I would prefer a native DP over alternate mode USB-C whenever possible.

Now, I know that MacBook 12'' doesn't support MTS, so I will only be able to hook up 1 monitor with non-DisplayLink adapter, and I accept that. What I need is only 1 monitor running at 1600p60.

WD15 is the best AFAIK in terms of specs on paper, it has all what I want -- DP, USB, LAN, charger, while being a big brand product available form Amazon. However, there are quite some negative reports on this thing with MacBook, both Pro and Retina, so I don't know if I will fall into the same trap. I don't have an XPS, so I can't even upgrade its firmware even if the bug is firmware-fixable.

Ricov one is thunderbolt only, but from its Amazon page, the seller explicitly said it works with 12'' MB, so I guess the so called thunderbolt only means alternative mode only. So far, it seems to be the only one with manufacturer claiming to be working with MB, but then it doesn't have a LAN port, and it doesn't come with a charger. It has charger passthrough, but I will have to buy a charger, which is another cost, plus I also need a LAN adapter.

So, I would like to hear your ideas about the 3 models and other candidates with DP or mDP, LAN and USB hub with charger passthrough. I am also interested in your actual experience with DisplayLink technology and should I consider D6000 or any other DisplayLink powered docks.

2. Should I spend money on AppleCare+? I know I have to buy it in 60 days for AC+, and from my understanding, I can't buy AP (without +) in the US (which gives 1 year of time to buy since device purchasing), so if in the first one year, after 60 days, if some re-occuring hardware bugs show up, while I didn't buy AP+, I'm f*ed, is that correct?

Also, how much a chance is there that my MB will break without water damage or any user damage? In other words, if I use it with good care, will it likely to break on its own?

$229 is not cheap, but if it's necessary, I won't hesitate buying it, especially considering the fact that I have a top CTO unit ($2000, i7, 16G, 512G).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks in advance. Any inputs from this awesome forum will be appreciated.

Saturn007

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Definitely recommend you get Apple Care+!

There have been many quality control issues in recent years with Macs, and AC makes life easy if you run into a problem.

Well worth it!

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
Yes, IMO - especially if you are highly mobile and use the battery a lot. That's my personal opinion.

AC+ covers drops (with a deductible), liquid damage (but NOT partial/full submersion) (with a deductible), and gets you a free battery/keyboard/mouse replacement once you hit 80% capacity (which heavy battery users can do within 3 years.) Just use the battery replacement one time and the cost of AC+ is completely paid off. Additionally, this keyboard is not making the best name in terms of consistency and durability, and its longevity is highly unproven (although the 2017 designs have obviously made changes - which havent been out long enough to say if they have fixed most of the issues.) AC+ ensures you get at least 3 years without having to dish out a fortune.

IIRC some vendors are still selling the original AppleCare for around $150 - it does not include the AD, and IIRC it does not include the battery replacement at 80%.

Do you think that the Caldigit USB-C dock might meet your needs? The reviews are pretty negative but have been much better since they updated the firmware. The company as a whole is a pleasure to interact with.

JamesGoodman

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2015
Hi all. Just decided to buy a Mac since I have an idea which requires a Mac to implement. It's glad to find this forum, and here I shamelessly ask for a few answers regarding my new Mac.

1. Is there a good MacBook 12'' DP dongle? I'm looking for DP 2560*1600. My monitor doesn't support HDMI hence a DP is needed.

I came across a few options, such as Dell WD15, Dell D6000 or Ricov USB-C to HDMI and DP and VGA hub.
While I appreciate the D6000 for its capability of outputting to 3 displays at much higher resolution, I am a bit doubtful against DisplayLink technology since they still have some bugs, and I don't know if the technology works well with OpenGL and Windows VM (in VBox or Parallels). I would prefer a native DP over alternate mode USB-C whenever possible.

Now, I know that MacBook 12'' doesn't support MTS, so I will only be able to hook up 1 monitor with non-DisplayLink adapter, and I accept that. What I need is only 1 monitor running at 1600p60.

WD15 is the best AFAIK in terms of specs on paper, it has all what I want -- DP, USB, LAN, charger, while being a big brand product available form Amazon. However, there are quite some negative reports on this thing with MacBook, both Pro and Retina, so I don't know if I will fall into the same trap. I don't have an XPS, so I can't even upgrade its firmware even if the bug is firmware-fixable.

Ricov one is thunderbolt only, but from its Amazon page, the seller explicitly said it works with 12'' MB, so I guess the so called thunderbolt only means alternative mode only. So far, it seems to be the only one with manufacturer claiming to be working with MB, but then it doesn't have a LAN port, and it doesn't come with a charger. It has charger passthrough, but I will have to buy a charger, which is another cost, plus I also need a LAN adapter.

So, I would like to hear your ideas about the 3 models and other candidates with DP or mDP, LAN and USB hub with charger passthrough. I am also interested in your actual experience with DisplayLink technology and should I consider D6000 or any other DisplayLink powered docks.

2. Should I spend money on AppleCare+? I know I have to buy it in 60 days for AC+, and from my understanding, I can't buy AP (without +) in the US (which gives 1 year of time to buy since device purchasing), so if in the first one year, after 60 days, if some re-occuring hardware bugs show up, while I didn't buy AP+, I'm f*ed, is that correct?

Also, how much a chance is there that my MB will break without water damage or any user damage? In other words, if I use it with good care, will it likely to break on its own?

$229 is not cheap, but if it's necessary, I won't hesitate buying it, especially considering the fact that I have a top CTO unit ($2000, i7, 16G, 512G).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks in advance. Any inputs from this awesome forum will be appreciated.

I buy it for all Apple Products and in 20 years it has paid for itself many many times over. I think NOT buying it is nuts.

mcpix

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2005
Now that AC+ also covers accidental damage, I think buying it is a no brainer for laptops.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.