Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Laisha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
Far northern Maine.
About two months ago, I had to borrow my husband's laptop, a MacBook. I made an account for myself, took care of business, and returned it.

Now, when he logs into his account, it thinks he's me! It wants to update iTunes and three other apps, but it won't let him use his Apple ID. It says that it was purchased by another user. It sends a security thing to his iPhone, but apparently expects mine. (I don't even have 3 of the 4 that want to update.)

I have NO idea what happened.

Would it help to delete my account? Or would it make it worse?

If that's a "no," then how can we fix it?

Kissmyne

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2015
The issue seems to be that some of the apps were installed or configured when your Apple ID would have been logged in. IF it is an Apple ID issue, deleting a local computer acct will NOT resolve this problem. The typical solution to this is log out of iTunes and App Store completely. Delete any apps refusing to update with this issue, login to the Apple ID intended for use going forward, and then download the apps back to the mac.

Keep in mind if you were logged in to YOUR local acct and had configured iTunes/App Store, and apps(particularly free apps made available to all users) were downloaded in that scenario.. that would create this issue, and thus something to keep in mind. Also be aware that you should be able to login to your user acct on the MacBook and likely update the apps.

Reactions: Laisha

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
About two months ago, I had to borrow my husband's laptop, a MacBook. I made an account for myself, took care of business, ...
It would probably help to troubleshoot this if you could define that last phrase, in general terms if you are adverse to being "too specific".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.